Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40RD453 - No usb media playback

SOLVED
Deppresso
New

KDL-40RD453 - No usb media playback

Hi just a quick shot in the dark message to see if anyone can help me out with a usb media playback problem.

Shortform post : Can someone post a list of specific file formats,info and usb stick sizes,format's which work on the KDL-40RD453 and any relevant programs they use for converting.

Longform post : 

I purchased the KDL- 40RD453 2 months ago and used a

8GB fat32 stick drive to play 1GB-2GB filesize 1.5 hour long movies with no problems

These movies were MP4 file format x264 and AAC.

I didn't really use the media playback on the tv for 4-5 weeks I then tried the very same thumbdrive with the same files only to have the thumbnail images for the video files show as a cracked/broken file, and upon selecting them it says "playback unavailable" or something similair.

So I tried the following devices and formats and they all give me the same thing "playback unavailable" and a giant wall of broken image thumbnails

USB 2.0 4GB fat32

USB 2.0 8GB fat32

USB 2.0 8GB ntfs

USB 2.0 8GB exfat

USB 3.0 32GB NTFS

USB 3.0 32GB fat32

USB 3.0 32GB exfat

500GB external usb powered samsung HDD NTFS

.mp4 x264 AAC

.mkv

.avi

.webm

So none of these work, I was told to upgrade the firmware from V8.513-1000 to the latest

which as of posting is V.518 and I still can't play anything.

If someone would like to send me information  that they don't want to post here I can be reached on twitter @deppresso my DM's are open and I'll see your tweets at me if you choose to do so.

Thank you to anyone who reads this I'll post the same thing on amazon answers and see if I can find a comprehensive list of file formats for this TV.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The only information out there is on pages 16 and 17 of the user manual.  I have attached the manual to this post (PDF)

Cheers

View solution in original post

Deppresso
New

Thank you, I tried all of that, I'm going to mark this as resolved.

After around another hour of trying the same sticks with different formats or a short youtube video I have found the cause of the playback issue.

The TV's date and time must be set for media playback from usb to work.

I'm not even kidding.

I don't know how posts are handled here but please keep this for people in the future this is comedy gold, hours of back and forward and 2 phonecalls to tech support, all I had to do was set the TV's internal clock and date.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The only information out there is on pages 16 and 17 of the user manual.  I have attached the manual to this post (PDF)

Cheers

Deppresso
New

Thank you, I tried all of that, I'm going to mark this as resolved.

After around another hour of trying the same sticks with different formats or a short youtube video I have found the cause of the playback issue.

The TV's date and time must be set for media playback from usb to work.

I'm not even kidding.

I don't know how posts are handled here but please keep this for people in the future this is comedy gold, hours of back and forward and 2 phonecalls to tech support, all I had to do was set the TV's internal clock and date.