Join now - be part of our community!

kdl-40v3000 bravia dark lines/shadows.

profile.country.en_GB.title
nishmalek
Visitor

kdl-40v3000 bravia dark lines/shadows.

i have exactly the same problem as the other people who have written about this tv model on the forum and there seems to be manty many more out thereon forums reporting the same problem that sony will not acknowledge.

there are dark lines running down my screen and a dark shadow line about an inch think on the right hand side of my screen, this was more noticable when watching football. my tv is not under warrranty anymore but is only 2 and a 1/2 years old. it seems that sony have created their screens to only last this long as lots of people have the same complaint.

i have just rang sony and i have been told that "there is no known problems with this model" that is rubbish as clearly there are a few of us just on this forum with the same pronblem. So we are paying about £1000 for a tv that will only last 2.5 years. i am disgusted with the lack of help and support from the sony call centre staff who basically said i need to get it fixed myself and i need to book it in with a service engineer. I suspect this is a problem with the panel or with the screen where a replace ment would cost you more than getting a new set. it would cost me £45 just for someone to come out and tell me that without even having it repaired. as a dedicated sony buyer over the years i cannot believe that my most expensive buy has only lasted 2.5 years.

WHY IS SONY NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM??

258 REPLIES 258
profile.country.nl_NL.title
nivanri12
Visitor

Hi everyone,

found this thread after my 40v3000 started acting up. Mine was bought nov. 28 2007, but has been displaying shadows for about 6 months now. At first barely noticeable, but got a lot worse over time.

My PS3 gives a consistent vertical, 10 inch wide, shadow 'bar' in the middle of the screen, when idling in the basic blue menu screen. There's also a half an inch vertical bar on the right side, but it's a lot harder to notice and doesn't bother me as much (although it still shouldn't be there in the first place)

On other devices, such as a media player or DVR, the same shadow bars are especially noticeable on lightly colored backgrounds. Cartoons with flat colored areas and sky backdrops show them extremely well.

Fortunately I bought 5 years extra warranty, however after having inspected my tv, the store technicians say they cannot reproduce my problem. After it was returned (6 weeks or so later), I noticed the shadows were still present, however barely visible. They've already gotten more prominent after a couple of days of using the tv.

Could the fact that I have the tv mounted to the wall have anything to do with this problem only showing up at home or are these guys just running some default tests and barely looking?

I have excluded almost everything else (different HDMI cables, tv HDMIT inputs, with/without AV receiver, multiple input devices, etc.)

I'm going to keep bothering the store's tech support, until they actually take this seriously. This tv cost me 2000 euros less than 5 years ago and it's ridiculous that it's even having these kinds of problems.

stearmit8
Visitor

I have finally given in getting a response from Sony which would not involve further payments from me and have purchased a repacement TV (not Sony!).  I have ALWAYS purchased Sony previously thinking I was buying a quality item but will no longer be doing so.  It is a sad day but onwards and upwards, life moves on and so do other electrical manufacturers!

boristhedriver
Visitor

I bought my KDL40X3500 at the MK sony centre Oct 2008. We got a free 5 year warranty at the time. Our lines and blurring first started at the start of this year but if the tv was left on for a few minutes it would resolve itself. Now the picture is completely screwed all the time.

I contacted the advertised sony warranty line and was put through to an 'outsourced' call centre that io couldnt understand. After an hour of frustration i hung up. I then rang teh MK Sony store (under new ownership of course...) who were very helpful. They posted me a copy of my original invoice showing the warranty and provided us with the UK helpdesk number (0844 324 5595).

I spoke with a nice lady called sarah who after forwarding my proof of purchase put me in contact with their local supplier PVS Ltd (we had sinced moved from MK and now live near Northampton) who arranged an engineers visit. The engineer stated that the panel had failed and a new one required and that it would take a few days to get in and then an hour on site to replace. This happened last saturday however still no contact to say when we can expect the part and no offer of a temporary replacement whilst we wait with no TV.

I am fully expecting them to turn round and say that the part isnt available. If this is the case what current model TV would be considered a suitable replacement for the model?

virginreco
Visitor

Panasonic, Samsung, LCD in fact any manufacturer except SONY:smileyangry:

boristhedriver
Visitor

I dont think Sony will offer those! (shame) i meant if they were to offer a replacement TV what is the minimum model i should accept?

steknigh
New

I have exactly the same problem with my Sony 40V3000. I will never, ever buy another Sony product again.

think85
Visitor

I'm having exactly the same problem. Is there anything at all that we can do? :slight_frown:

Getting to the point where I'm going to need a new TV as it's almost unwatchable now.

endemonadia
Visitor

Hi

Ive just chanced across this thread and after reading it i can see my KDL40V3000 suffers from the exact same issue thats being discussed here.

I purchased my Bravia around 7 years ago and the ghosting/shadows appeared around 1 year ago.  it must be noted that this TV has sat in storage for 2-3 years and therefore wasnt used for the full 7 years.  And this shadow appeared around 2-3 years after it came out of storage, therefore not a chance in hell that the storage somehow created the issue.

After reading this thread i can guarantee i will never buy another Sony product again as it appears that they have done sod all about addressing this KNOWN ISSUE.  And kudos to Toshiba who have reacted quickly to the same issue on their TVs by giving full replacements to their customers... Sony u fail.

~Ende~

rodney12
Visitor

Hi - Just to add my name to the list of people with this "Shadow" problem on their KDL40V3000. Bought mine about 6 years back and the shadow has gradually got worse. Have not been able to get anywhere with Sony, so called, Customer Support.

This is certainly the very last SONY product that I will be buying and will be making sure all my family and friends are made aware of their lousy quality and total failure to address this manufacturing defect.

Rod

SCFC_Messiah
Visitor

Add another name to the list of 40V3000 owners experiencing vertical black shadows. It's gotten progressively worse over the last few months. Appears especially worse on green backgrounds, which makes watching most sports frustrating

When I shelled out well over £1000 for this TV I hoped it would last considerably longer than it has done. There were alternatives out there for half the price, but I choose to buy into a name I thought was synonymous with quality. Needless to say I wont make the same mistake next time

http://imageshack.us/a/img641/7896/imag0001ts.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img10/3880/imag0002ja.jpg