Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W829B TV - Time Capsule File access?

iajones12
New

KDL-50W829B TV - Time Capsule File access?

Hi,

I have a KDL-50W829B TV which I have previously using the Media Centre function to access media files on a WD external drive.

I have just bought an Apple Airport Time Capsule and setup my wireless network via that and the TV connects to the new wireless network, no problem.  

However, I was hoping to be able access media files on the Time Capsule's 2TB drive to play through my TVs Media Centre.  But the TV can't find this content.

So, is it possible for my TV to access files in the Time Capsule?  If so, if someone could explain how, that would be much apprectiated.  I've read various comments about there being no DLNA server on the Time Capsule - does that mean it won't work?  Or is there some other way around this?

Many thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Leave Apple to faff things up again...  Sorry, i have no love for Apple :grin:

Here is what you need to know:

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/question/answers/readonly/will-time-capsule-be-able-to-serve-its-files-...

What you will need to do is setup a DLNA server on your PC to stream files over your network from this 'Time Capsule'.  Software such as Serviio, Twonky, Plex etc.

Cheers

Captain_WD
Explorer

Hello iajones12 :slight_smile:

What @Anonymous suggested perfectly explains the situation. Due to some specifics of that router, you can't really access the media directly and you would have to go through a DLNA server and use an app (one of the listed). I'd first check what formats does the TV support, which app works best on it and what level of transcoding can it support before any stuttering occurs. :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask if there are other questions!

Captain_WD.