Join now - be part of our community!

KDL32W70B Smart TV problems after connecting to wifi

isaac64
Explorer

KDL32W70B Smart TV problems after connecting to wifi

Hi everyone,
We've had our sony smart tv for several months now with no problems at all, but as soon as I connected it to the wifi, we've had all sorts of issues. 

- The TV usually refuses to turn on, won't react to the on button on the back of the TV (or any button on the remote) and only turns on (sometimes!) if we unplug it, wait a bit and plug it back in like the manual says. But we have to do this every single time we try and turn on the TV. All sleep modes and standby stuff is disabled. And when the TV eventually does turn on it takes ages to recognise that I'm trying to change channel.
- The TV will randomly turn off during a programme. It's not a sleep thing because it literally switches off suddenly rather than fade and as I said all our sleep/standby settings are off.
- I already did a factory reset and rescanned the channels etc. and now the TV always "crashes" suddenly when I try and set up the Wifi. So even with wifi disconnected and factory reset, the problems persist.

It would be great if anyone knew how to sort this out, we did ring the TV shop and they said it might be a software update problem, brought on by the fact that we often leave the TV unplugged for several weeks when we are away and it's supposed to update via the ariel? Either way we had no problems doing this until I connected it to the Wifi.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

First thing to do is ensure that you have the latest firmware:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/bravia-kdlw-firmware-update-v2204/KDL-32W...

Next do another FW update once the latest FW is installed.

What happens when you use an ethernet cable directly from TV to router (instead of WIFI) does this problem still occur?  Need to test it.  If it works, try wifi again.

If the wifi is constantly the problem - can you live with the ethernet cable?  If not, I would suggest a warranty repair or replacement of TV (might be a hardware issue)

Cheers

isaac64
Explorer

Ok, thank you very much, we'll try that when we're there this weekend and let you know how it goes.

isaac64
Explorer

Hi, sorry about the delay.
We plugged in the USB stick and the warning message came up for a few seconds and then after that the TV switched off and has been off for the last hour. I know it's supposed to turn off and back on during updates but does it usually take an hour? 
The TV tends to switch itself off quite a lot when we're watching it after a few minutes anyway so we thought it might just be that.
Thought I'd check before trying again.
Thanks again for all your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

At this moment in time, there is an issue with Smart Apps, but not related to you at this moment.

The update should take no more than say 10 minutes to be honest.  Most of the time its under 5 mins.  So something is not right their.  Suggest switching TV back on again.

Also, TV switching off whilst watching it - Turn OFF the ECO modes such as:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14HE334111/EN/c_eco_idle.html

Also ensure that you have no sleep timer set:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14HE334111/EN/c_clock_sleep.html

Then do the update again.

See if that works.

Cheers

isaac64
Explorer

Hi again,
Well, we eventually managed to do the update. The TV crashed quite a few times and we had to keep unplugging it and replug it in to get it to turn back on, and the update then continued and did eventually finish before crashing again! We checked the system information on the help/customer support bit and it is now updated.
However after about 5 minutes watching TV where everything seemed fine, the TV has crashed again and doesn't turn back on without unplugging etc.
Perhaps this is a hardware issue as even after the factory reset I had done and the update these problems still persist?
All the eco settings and sleep things have always been off, as I thought it might have been that to begin with haha
Thanks again for your advice and help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Looking back through the thread, you have done everything in your power to resolve this.  I will state and happy to say, that your problems are NOT normal.  Therefore the only option left is a TV fault.  For simplicity, contact the retailer you purchased it from and explain the situation.

Good luck with everything, and if possible, please update this thread - as Im always curious to know what the outcome is :slight_smile:

Cheers

PS: All else fails, contact Sony Support themselves.

isaac64
Explorer

Ok, thank you so much for all your help. It's been invaluable as we can now prove to the shop and Sony that we've tried everything and it's obviously a TV fault.
I'll let you know how it all works out.
Thanks again,
Isaac

profile.country.RO.title
cosmingpx8

Hello, the problem with this model we have you believe is the operating system needs to be reinstalled, you must go with him to a Service Center, if you still have the Garat is better not call someone who does not know you risk you lose the warranty.