Join now - be part of our community!

KDL42W654 Faulty or acceptable

Smartyuk2525
Explorer

KDL42W654 Faulty or acceptable

Blue Screen.pngSky image.pngClose up white.png

I have owned my KDL42w654 for 16 months, it has a sony 5 year warranty. Last month i noticed these patches appearing from the top down on bright screens white, light grey etc. I have gone through the sony warranty process and was told this is normal and to turn down the backlite settings " i only have it set to 6 but turning it down has made no difference. I'm told this is clouding effect but i tend to disagree as on a white screen the patches appear pink see pics included. I would be glad to hear if any one has had similar problems with there TV. this is an excellent tv but i have lost faith in a sony 5 year warranty.

Thanks for looking

Jason

5 REPLIES 5
Smartyuk2525
Explorer

pictures now added sorry  !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This is what is commonly called as DSE (Dirty Screen Effect) or clouding.  Unfortunately the nature of LCD screens, it does occur.  Normally you notice it when you first purchase a TV and then exchange it.  In regards to your TV, I have seen so much worse. 

Unfortunately you are the only one to know whether you can 'put' up with it or it totally annoys you to hell.  If you cannot accept it, your first port of call is your retailer and discuss with them.  Unknown what your terms and conditions are in regards to your 5 year warrantee.

Me personally, I would ask to get this fixed/exchanged or resolved :slight_smile:

Cheers

Smartyuk2525
Explorer

Thanks for the reply, I would like to get it exchanged to be honest because it is so noticable. i will try the sony dealer but i think they will just send me back to sony support again who say its normal. Annoying as after paying £70 for a extended sony warranty i was expecting a no fuss exchange or repair.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us all know how you get on anyhow.  Interested to know :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

What's that white splotch in the blue screen?

These irregularities from the top would be totally unacceptable for me. It also wasn't there from the start, so it's not "by design". I'd insist they replace it. Mind you, the replacement might have other regularity problems, but this looks quite bad.

Don't you just love it when manufacturers try to claims problems are "the way it should be"? Same excuse in the manual in regards to potential dead pixels.