Join now - be part of our community!

KDL48WD655 doesn't recognize Samsung HDD during registration

SOLVED
profile.country.DE.title
Gary-im-Odenwald
Explorer

KDL48WD655 doesn't recognize Samsung HDD during registration

I took a 1 TB Samsung 3.5" hard disk drive out of a AC Ryan PlayonHD, installed it in a USB 2.0 HDD case by Sharkoon, hooked up the USB drive to my Windows 7 computer. The PlayonHD had created 3 partitions on the disk: a large NTFS and two Linux partitions. To prepare the disk for recording with my Sony TV, I did a fast format of the disk and selected the exFAT file system (as recommended in Sony support articles) with the default cluster (allocation unit) size of 256 kb (which was preselected).

Formatting for Sony TV.jpg

When I attach the USB drive to the Sony TV, the drive is not recognized during the HDD registration.

Could this have something to do with the filesystem exFAT or the cluster size? (I found this Microsoft article on cluster sizes.)

I'm going to run a "slow" format overnight and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Gary

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
Gary-im-Odenwald
Explorer

Solution: After I formatted the disk with an NTFS filesystem (using the default cluster size), the disk was immediately recognized.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
Gary-im-Odenwald
Explorer

Follow-up: The slow format didn't improve anything.

profile.country.DE.title
Gary-im-Odenwald
Explorer

Solution: After I formatted the disk with an NTFS filesystem (using the default cluster size), the disk was immediately recognized.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for posting back the solution - it is interesting that the TV didnt recognise exFAT for registration purposes.  If NTFS didnt work (which it did), normally the fallback is FAT32.

Cheers