Join now - be part of our community!

kdl50w815 USB recording spec

SOLVED
paulc84
Explorer

kdl50w815 USB recording spec

Hi, can someone tell me (or direct me to) the info regarding the spec required for a USB devide, to record from my TV.

I'm looking at purchasing some sort of storage device but cannot find any details regarding the specification, other than it has to be greater than 32gb.

Will a flash drive work?

Will a 2.5 non mains drive work?

Is there a general equation regarding storage/recording time (standard and HD)

Thanks in advance

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
alex30

Hi,

Yes, both a flash drive of sufficient size (32GB +)  or a portable (non mains) drive will work. When you plug it in you will need to register the device but the TV will prompt you with a pop up. It is a good idea to format the drive on the TV to ensure compatibility. An issue I found with a portable HDD was that it doesn't ever switch off, even when not in use. I asked Sony about this and they said the only way would be by disconnecting it. To me that is a real pain as I want mine to be always ready to start recording instantly but I don't want it powered up and spinning 24/7 . In that respect probably a flash drive would be better.

Note that you will not be able to play any recordings on another device such as your PC but only on the TV.

I hope this helps but you can also look in the Sony online manual which is accessed via the white button half way down the right hand side of the remote.

Good luck !

P. S.  Not sure about recording time but it may be in the manual.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
alex30

Hi,

Yes, both a flash drive of sufficient size (32GB +)  or a portable (non mains) drive will work. When you plug it in you will need to register the device but the TV will prompt you with a pop up. It is a good idea to format the drive on the TV to ensure compatibility. An issue I found with a portable HDD was that it doesn't ever switch off, even when not in use. I asked Sony about this and they said the only way would be by disconnecting it. To me that is a real pain as I want mine to be always ready to start recording instantly but I don't want it powered up and spinning 24/7 . In that respect probably a flash drive would be better.

Note that you will not be able to play any recordings on another device such as your PC but only on the TV.

I hope this helps but you can also look in the Sony online manual which is accessed via the white button half way down the right hand side of the remote.

Good luck !

P. S.  Not sure about recording time but it may be in the manual.