Join now - be part of our community!

KDL50W829B Media Player crashing when connecting External HDD through USB

Vlad87
Explorer

KDL50W829B Media Player crashing when connecting External HDD through USB

Hi, 

Recently purchased the KDL50W829B and have no problems with it except for one, but it's a major one, as being able to play media from an external USB HDD was one of the reasons for upgrading. I am using a WD 500GB HDD only containing video files of various formats, no mp3s or other types of files on it. the problem is as follows:

1. I plug in the HDD into the USB socket

2. TV recognises it and asks if I want to launch the Media Player (whether I chose Yes, or No and launch it myself through Home button, makes no difference, I've tried every way possible) 

3. (When in Media Player) At this stage time varies but the result is always the same. Sometimes it crashes when trying to access the Media Player. Sometimes it crashes while scanning the files on the HDD. Sometimes it scans and displayes all the media on the HDD and crashes when I try to browse them. Sometimes it even lets me play a file or two, but most times it doesn't. 

4. No matter what, the result in the end is always the same. I get a window saying: "Unfortunately the Media Player has stopped" and OK button to press.

5. Ussually I'm not even fast enough to press the OK and the TV powers down and reboots with black screen and SONY on it. The time of the reboot always varies but after it turns itself on again it goes to either TV or HDMI1

6. Here is the strange part and the most anoying one. If I just leave it there after the reboot watching normal TV and don't unplug the HDD it will go through the reboot process over and over againg every 90 seconds (timed it) even if I don't try to access the HDD. And it will keep rebooting untill I unplug the HDD.

7. I have also tried a Toshiba 160GB HDD freshly formated with just a handfull of files on it with the same results. So I doubt it's the HDD problem.

8. Read somewhere that HDD might need more power so I tried the Y USB cable to utilize both USB inputs to provide more power to the HDD with no luck.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Is there a way to fix this (maybe an alternative way to use HDD without launching the Media Player) or do I have to return the TV? I really wouldn't want to do that as I like everything else about it, but inability to watch a lot of the media I have on my eternal drives is a real dealbreaker.

Thanks

59 REPLIES 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sony is aware of this issue, and do know that it went all the way to the engineers in Japan. Unfortunatley that is as far as it has got and in all likelyhood not going to ever be fully resolved either.  The only workarounds are the ones posted here, i.e. re-encode the video files.

I know this is not the answer you wwnt to hear

Cheers

mgrijalba
Explorer

Hello,

I have a KDL-50W805B, and it was working fine until last night, the tv recognizes my WD HDD (usb 3.0 / 1TB), but the media player does'nt work. Previously I could watch every movie that I have on my HD even the 3D ones, the USB port seems to be working properly but it looks like a software bug, I bought this tv almost one month ago, if I cannot fix this problem I'm thinking about returning this product and getting my money back.

My tv has the latest firmware update. Is there any chance to upgrade this TV from Opera to Android ?

Thanks !

profile.country.en_GB.title
garfield100

Have you tried unplugging the TV from the mains power socket for a few seconds ?

This usually fixes the problem for my W705B when the media player suffers a catastrophic crash.

Absolutely no chance of 2014 'B' series being upgraded to Android available on 2015 models btw.

profile.country.GB.title
Alexdb19
Explorer

I have the same problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Alexdb19
Explorer

i have the same problem. PLEASE SONY MAKE AN SOFTWARE UPDATE!!!!

Beaves85
New

Fed up with Sonys attitude towards this. TV began switching off while watching through the Virgin set top box. So it's been boxed up and returned to john Lewis. Full refund offered and purchased an LG OLED. wow. Much better picture and works a treat with the two hdds plugged in the back. 

That's the last Sony TV I'll ever buy. Still, thanks for the free sound bar and ps4 :wink:

deelam
Explorer

My problems continue...  I've given up with the media player / usb - it's just too buggy.

mine also drops it's wifi connection on iplayer for no reason (and I can usually find them). 

I'm happy with the picture and sound but the "smart" functions are pretty UNsmart.

Less than 12 months old and I'm going to see about returning it to Richer Sounds...

Ditto - last Sony tv for me too. 

Agter 3 attends repairing Sony og offered me a new tv similar. It Works
without The same issues!
profile.country.GB.title
Alexdb19
Explorer

I have the same problem. I think I will return the TV!

profile.country.GB.title
A-Z.8-21
Explorer

The multimedia player on the sony smart tv is a very poor piece of software that is very slow has too few view options crashed regularly for external hard drive which works perfectly and speedily with my other Japanese non smart tv. Maybe it's not the software in which case it is the sony tv that isn't very good with external media. I won't ever be getting another sony that's for sure.