Join now - be part of our community!

KDLHX723 & Sony SU-B401s sounds - Audio return channel faults

SOLVED
andy_duncan
Explorer

KDLHX723 & Sony SU-B401s sounds - Audio return channel faults

I have a KDL-40HX723 - , but I am getting an infuriating intermittant fault on the Audio Return Channel of the HDMI1 
I have bought a new soundbar, replaced / tried many different HDMI cables, but still the Handshake drops and picks up the soundbar (Sony SUB401S unit) and just makes it a waste of time. I've had many years faultless service from it, but now this is doing my head in. 
Theres no alternate 'input' i the Soundbar - so I can't use an Optical In or such either.... ideas ?

Already Tried: 

Tried to force a Firmware upgrade. Factory reset. and Software Updates.
I have bought a new soundbar, replaced / tried many different HDMI cables, but still the Handshake drops and picks up the soundbar (Sony SUB401S unit) and just makes it a waste of time. I've had many years faultless service from it, but now this is doing my head in. Theres no alternate 'input' i the Soundbar - so I can't use an Optical In or such either.... ideas ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
andy_duncan
Explorer

turns out a feed from another separate / HDMII lead in port 3 was the issue or conflict.

Most bizarre how it started to randomly cause the issue.

anyway - sorted I hope......

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The SUB401S is ONLY compatible with the monolithic TV (the NX723 TV).  So if you have the HX723 it will not work (unless its a typo).

Am I assuming that you have recently purchased the SUB401S?  I am unaware that they are still available??  May I ask where you purchased it from? As if you are indeed referring to the NX723 TV, the SUB401S maybe faulty and may wish to consider exchanging it?

Cheers

andy_duncan
Explorer

Apologies - yes most likely a NX723 - in sofaras it has worked happily for 5 years as a combo unit.

I bought the soundbar about a month after I bought the TV - and woring it out from Rugby World Cups, that was 3 to 4 years ago ! :slight_smile:

Anyway - I bought / had the Soundbar. Ran perfectly until maybe 2 months ago.

Since then this 'problem' which also causes the signal of the Input to drop complety - i.e. I have Sky into the Soundbar, Soundbar to HDMI1.

The picture and sound dies.

So - I found on Ebay from a shop in York : for £30 !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-SUB401S-STAND-/141128327845?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

And this seems to be not much better ---- putting (finally!) 2+2 together, it MUST be a TV issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Gotcha now. 

1. So you orignally had the SUB401S stand/soundbar
  2. Started playing up, so purchased another one in the hopes it would resolve your problem
  3. The other SUB401S that was purchased has the same problems
  4. Replaced and swapped HDMI cables - did not help

So, where to go from here.  The there are three devices that are needed, the SUB401S, the HDMI cable and the TV.  Since you have replaced the first two, this leaves a HDMI port problem on the TV.  Unless sometype of electro-interference on the HDMI cable - are you using decent quality shielded HDMI cables?

Other than that, Im afraid you will probably need to contact an authorised Sony Repair centre to be honest. 

See : HERE or Contact Sony Support : HERE and see if they have any other suggestions (do this first in fact!).

Sorry thats the best I can come up with im afraid.

Cheers

andy_duncan
Explorer

Then - thats Two of us !

I just fear the TV repair side of things - I was hoping for a circumvent, or a trick somehow, but I too think it is the HDMi port on the TV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I cannot think of another reason.

Purely for references purposes ONLY (as part number can differ between same model/sizes of tvs), the Main AV boards are generally pretty cheap:

https://flattvparts.co.uk/sony-kdl-46nx723-main-av-1-883-754-12-y2009570a-rev-101?zenid=91b3a10229d0...

Its the labour/fault finding that adds to the cost of the repair.  Assuming the correct part can be sourced

And again, all this is only a guess to :slight_smile:

andy_duncan
Explorer

Cheers for that - 

just how nasty a transplant is that ? Can I totally bork the TV trying ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldnt recommend it, if you dont know what your doing :slight_smile: 

Besides you need the exact same part number. 

andy_duncan
Explorer

turns out a feed from another separate / HDMII lead in port 3 was the issue or conflict.

Most bizarre how it started to randomly cause the issue.

anyway - sorted I hope......

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad you got it sorted.  Thanks for the update.