Join now - be part of our community!

Latest Software/firmware version for KDL40W4000

profile.country.GB.title
Rlvtv84
Explorer

Latest Software/firmware version for KDL40W4000

Hey there, 

Unfortunately, my newer TV's LED panel has packed in to the point of no return. So, I've resurrected my trusty KDL40W4000. It's been a while since I've used it but it appears that there is a strange flickering and ghosting effect on the tv (see attached images). I suspect it to be a lose connection with one of the led panels ribbon connectors, or out of date software/firmware. There appears to be no updates available. Any help would be mostly appreciated as I can't afford to buy a new TV until after Christmas and I don't want my little ones bored throughout the break. I mean, it is watchable everything works pefect, except that annoying flickering...

Thanks again,

RLV20181125_134250.jpg

20181125_140448.jpg

The warmer the tv gets the less it flickers.The warmer the tv gets the less it flickers.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Rlvtv84 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

I don't think there are any updates for that model of TV

Are the shadows you're getting green and purple?

If so there is a reported fix for gamma correction on another site,

but follow the instructions / download files at your own risk as they

aren't provided by Sony.

Look here

If it doesn't help then you're probably going to have to contact Support.

profile.country.GB.title
Rlvtv84
Explorer

Hey there and thank you!

I will try to download the files you linked. I wondered though, am I able to perform this via a properly formatted USB, or do I need to use an SD card that I must connect to the service port? My 2 yo nephew has now somehow managed to get my TV into a cycle screen of RGB and I can't access the menu to fix, so I think a reload of all original SW/few is the fix? Any thoughts?  Again thank you so much for your time and help, it's very much appreciated 👍🏻😊

profile.country.GB.title
Rlvtv84
Explorer

Also, I did contact support today to ask for the original files but they insist on it being properly serviced (understandably). However, I just don't think the cost is justifiable fgiven the age of the set and my ability to perform such simple operations as a SW install, ud. Best wishes and heres hoping I can get this sorted before Christmas...

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @Rlvtv84 :slight_smile:

How much did they quote for a repair?

After reading all the instructions again on that site for an attempt at a

firmware reinstall  / correcting gamma I'm not so sure its worth risking it..

(If something went wrong halfway through you may make your TV worse)

profile.country.GB.title
Rlvtv84
Explorer

Ello ello 😁

The authorised repair place they sent me to no longer does Sony TV's..😙 He first tried to send me to a  repair place that was like an hour's drive from my house...The guy I spoke to at the place that no longer does Sony directed me to Martin Dawes in Warrington. They wanted 70 quid just to look at it, not including any repairs, estimated about 200 quid. So I though F* that. I paid to speak to 2 qualified TV engineers who both said, almost immediately, replace the main board. Main board ordered for 20 quid free postage. Total cost to me 33 pounds. I'll let you know how it is once I have fitted it. İt's such a great TV, connected to Amazon Fire TV, shes a real work horse 📺😎

Thanks again for your engagement and time btw. Speak soon,

Robbie 😉

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hiya Robbie

Thats excellent! :party:

Yes, please keep us posted.

profile.country.GB.title
Rlvtv84
Explorer

Happy Sunday! 

*Update*

Changed main board in TV and it worked like a charm. 😁 However, unfortunately, it's downgraded my TV to an older version and I can no longer pick up HD Freeview Channels. No biggie as use Amazon Fire Stick mainly anyway. I wondered, I also purchased a cheap replacement board for a KDL40w4500 which, if I'm correct, will basically *upgrade* the TV to the new HD tuner and also add Ethernet connection and the newer menu system. Do you think it'll work? I could just stick with the board I bought that's downgraded it, but I thought I'd try and upgrade it in the same fashion. Would be an extra bonus to have Ethernet port. Plus, the board that's in and working doesn't even have a USB slot...:/ 

Love to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Robbie 😉😊👍🏻Fixed none the less, just downgraded.Fixed none the less, just downgraded.

Playing Full HD movie on Amazon Fire TV stick.Playing Full HD movie on Amazon Fire TV stick.