Join now - be part of our community!

Loss of i-player on freesat tv.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
defiant
New

Loss of i-player on freesat tv.

hi, is anyone else having problems getting the bbc i- player on their  freesat tv model  kdl-32w 5810. the set is connected with an  ethernet cable and was working fine untill about 10 days ago. but now  it will not connect.  please find me an answer.:smileyconfused:

49 REPLIES 49
profile.country.GB.title
hedawso85
New

hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply, I can't believe BT told you to get a BT Vision box, cheeky wotsits. I'm going to look at the BT hh2 for infinity today but not going to use it permanently, I reckon the hh3 is the better of the two, tho it will be interesting to see if the iplayer works on it.

I strongly recommend you pm BT on their Facebook page as I did, I got a much better response than you did & it cost me nothing by emails & them ringing me. I've got the BT engineer ringing me next Monday to see how it went with the hh2. Meanwhile have you got a Nintendo Wii? Iplayer works on that fine with the hh3. I would imagine the play station 3 also would work via it if you have one?

I'm on FB if you want to keep in touch over this with BT, (Helen D-B) add me with a message.

Helen

HillBilly63
Visitor

I waited for the call for the update from BT with a firmware update and surprise, surprise they didn't call.

I have recontacted them as well as sending an email of complaint and they assure they will contact me in a maximum of 48hrs, we've done 24 but after tomorrow it is my intention to speak with Ofcom as the contract I have with them states the speed should be 25.9Mbps and I'm getting between 8.8 and 15Mbs, but that's a separate issue!

I live in the north between Manchester and Sheffield but Freesat have told me the problem is nationwide. I'm no expert but I took my TV to a neighbours who aren't with BT and the iPlayer works, just as it did with my previous ISP. As I said beforeFreesat say that BT customers who were on the HH2 are having this problem since updating, the problem is obviously at BT's end.

I wish I had never changed!!

profile.country.GB.title
hedawso85
New

Hi All,

Well I've tried the HH2 for BT Infintity instead of the HH3 and it didn't make a jot of difference, I've now also taken my KDL40W5810 back to factory settings, unplugged it aswell as re-set the HH3 and unplugged that. all advised by BT (my third call from them btw so they have been helpful), BT have also looked at my set up via my laptop remotely and can't figure it. soooo they will now escalate the issue with the problem being with their fibre optic settings that just doesn't work with Sony's. The nice young man from BT is going to call me again in the New Year, hopefully by then someone will have an answer and perhaps a solution that works?? I will update you if and when I know.

I've decided to buy a Echostar HDS-600RS 500GB Freesat HD Recorder and Media Streamer, fingers crossed it will be compatible with BT Infinity, I should get BBC Iplayer on it plus lots of other clever bits for streaming, not that I think anyone should have to spend more to get their Iplayer back, but I've been thinking about getting a recorder and media streamer now we have much faster download and upload speeds with BT Infinity.

Have a good Christmas everyone,

Helen :smileygrin:

baholla52
Visitor

I have the same TV and the same problems.  I gave up on BT/Sony/Freesat sorting this out and bought a Sony Blu Ray BDPS185B.CEK.  They retail at about £80 and you might get your retailer or even Sony to contribute.

Anyway it solves the problem and gives greatly enhanced Iplayer and many other internet services.

rbutlin
Visitor

I have a KDL32-W5810 and it has been back to two authorised repair shops in the last 6 months with this same problem.  The first time a software upgrade provided the solution but it failed again a couple of months ago when I upgraded to BT Infinity.  The repair shop deliverd it back to me saying it worked fine on ethernet connection in their premises, and that I should ditch my wireless connection and replace with ethernet cable.  That has had no effect.

I find it sad that Sony and BT seem to be slugging it out without providing a satisfactory technical solution for those who thought they were buying a top class TV.  I have been a consistant Sony user since 1979; now I am not so sure why

defiant
New

greetings  one and all,  i recently raised this subject again with sony tech services and  today i was told very politely that this is not a sony problem and to refer it back to bt  tech services.  i had recently raised this with bt  who made little or no effort to sort it and then after 2 weeks  marked the issue as closed.  i have now reopened the complaint but   because everything else works with infinity, they want me to pay to speak to their home i.t  people.   i  am not prepared to do this.  if you are in agreement , please raise a complaint on the bt face book page.  who  knows it may  embarras them into action.   have a good  new year.   regards.  steve m.

HillBilly63
Visitor

Hi,

I have just spoken with Freesat to get an update on their investigations and have been told that there will be a decision on Friday 6th January as to what BT and Freesat will do to provide a 'fix'

Again, keeping everything crossed!

HillBilly63
Visitor

Fantastic, I would like to say a huge 'thank you' to Freesat who I have to say were the only people interested in sorting this out. They tell me they put pressure on BT and Sony to sort the matter out. Well done!

I am now up and working at high speed.

davidratcliffe
Visitor

Thanks for keeping us all up to date HillBilly63.

I'd noticed around Thursday of last week that something had changed as I started to get the "Press the Red..." message, which would then go to "loading" but the screen would blank and nothing else happened but toight after reading your message I've checked and yep its all working again.

As you say BT and Sony have been anything but helpful in all of this, both of them seemed quite happy to pass the buck backwards and forwards. Not a good advertisement for customer service for either company.

profile.country.GB.title
Red_Snow
New

I have two of these SMP-N200's that also had intermittent issues with iPlayer. I did a full reset but had some similar issues.

The thing that seemed to help me was setting external DNS addresses. This is instead of my router acting as the DNS server for DHCP clients.

On my router, for the DHCP scope options; I set the DNS for clients to be 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 (these are the Google PublicDNS servers). If this is not an option on your router, you can go through the network settings on SMP-N200 and input manually. Select AUTO for all settings but set the DNS manually to IPs above - that worked just fine.

Cheers - mark

Message was edited by: Red_Snow

Message was edited by: Red_Snow