Join now - be part of our community!

MKV support via NAS & PC

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

MKV support via NAS & PC

Hi all

Maybe some of you will find this useful. I run a 2010 HX combined with a 2010 Synology 410J NAS at home. With the latest firmware, Synology devices now transcode MKV files on the fly themselves meaning that plenty of Sony devices such as PS3 and BRAVIA can now have .MKV files streamed directly to them from a NAS which was a bit of a limitation before..

Interesting thread about it here complete with good success stories.

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=39344

If anyone looking at NAS's I can personally recommend the Synology range as having very good compatibility with BRAVIA and Blu-ray products, now even more so given they transcode too!

Native support on current devices is unlikely, but now there are both streaming solutions for NAS's and PC's/Mac's via software like Serviio  - http://www.serviio.org/download again which is my preferred DLNA media server.

Hope this helps..

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

Thank you very much for the valuable and helpful information.

I use personally the Serviio software and it is simple to do the job over DLNA.

Beside that, we hope Sony work arround that issue in the near future to make the MKV codec included in their devices , so we can play MKV files and its subtitle from any USB HDD/flash  (currenly no way to get it playable).

I believe MKV is the most popular media type which are spreaded on the internet nowadays and everybody use it.

Wish for you nice days.

Best regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

Thank you very much for the valuable and helpful information.

I use personally the Serviio software and it is simple to do the job over DLNA.

Beside that, we hope Sony work arround that issue in the near future to make the MKV codec included in their devices , so we can play MKV files and its subtitle from any USB HDD/flash  (currenly no way to get it playable).

I believe MKV is the most popular media type which are spreaded on the internet nowadays and everybody use it.

Wish for you nice days.

Best regards

monica660
New

Since I have a NAS device, I'd like to add my MKV files to NAS drive to view via streamers ( PS3, WD TV, etc). But I need to know first how can I stream MKV to NAS. I found some tutorials on Google, but all failed. Hope this information can give me some hint.