Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix awful colour on KDL-55w905

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
langleyt
Explorer

Netflix awful colour on KDL-55w905

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm very pleased with the performance of my new TV except that the streamed video from Netflix has awful colours. i.e. electric blues, lobster flesh tones, purple afro american flesh tones, you get the idea? I can't find any way to adjust them. Sony help desk refers me to the manual, which I'm perfectly capable of reading.

The problem is with streamed video from the TV itself. If I access Netflix on my PS3 and put it through an HDMI connection on the TV it is fine. Both the PS3 and TV are connected by Cat5 cable to the same router.

Can anybody please point me to a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
langleyt
Explorer

Well, after visiting the shop I bought it from and challenging the shop floor experts to demonstrate how to change the display settings on streamed internet and watching them fail I gave up.

Then, tonight, I had another go at searching for a solution and found it. The answer does indeed lie within the Youtube App as was suggested to me - but - you can only access the settings while pausing a video.

Select a video - pause it, press options and finally you get a menu. Do your adjustments, colour, motionflow etc and go back into Netflix and the job is done.

So it is possible to alter the picture settings for the streaming video except it is very well hidden. How on earth can that be?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Try going into the YouTube app and modifiying the picture display options (as ive read somewhere that this has a few more options to adjust)

Also, if you havent done so already, in the Advanced Settings area, turn OFF things such as:

• Black Corrector
  • Advanced Contrast Enhancer
  • Clear White
  • Live Colour
  • Skin Neutraliser
  • and any others that may be suitable. 

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Very odd - I've played with this panel alot and never experienced this.

Does the same happen with iPlayer?

All movies in Netflix or just some?

I'd update the firmware and then run a factory reset as this will reset everything. If its still having an issue afterwards I'd definitely get it looked at by the service centre - maybe take a couple of pictures and email them over to your local one one to get their opinion before carting your TV over there, but its very odd this is only affecting one VOD channel..

profile.country.GB.title
langleyt
Explorer

Thanks, I've updated the firmware already and run 2 factory resets. I've now spoken to a Sony helpdesk who asked me to check my broadband speed and if the same issues appear on BBC iplayer and Youtube. The lady asked me to attach photos to an email she was going to send me but sadly did not send the email. The Broadband speed was 11.15 and the colour issues exist on all films and the other apps too. 

The effect of the over vivid and colour saturation is to give the film a CGI appearance.

I was hoping for someone to able to tell me if there was some adjustment that could be made on the picture settings but so far to no avail.

profile.country.GB.title
langleyt
Explorer

Hi, 

Thanks for your suggestion, I'd previously disabled all of the suggested options and came to the conclusion that none of the picture settings have any effect on the the internet streamed content. Picking an unused HDMI and switching everything off, colour contrast etc = no effect. Still have CGI / cartoon effect on the picture. The youtube app doesn't offer any settings either, I'm afraid. If I pipe internet content into the TV via my PS3 I can adjust the pictue settings but I've just paid top dollar for a near top of the range device and the Smart part, ironically, doesn't seem to be.

Catmambo
Contributor

Wow, ok - but broadcast TV or Sky via HDMI is ok right? Very odd.

Depending on how old the TV is, either get in touch with your retailer or local Sony Service Centre, as something definitely doesn't seem right. If you go down the service centre route, as I mentioned, give them a ring first and explain the issue as some of them offer in home service as well, depending on the problem.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
langleyt
Explorer

Ok thanks, I've spoken to another lady in the support call centre who corrected my email address sent me the promised email. I've sent three pics back and am awaiting their assessment.

It seems strange to me that the TV (bought new 14th of December) can adjust picture settings on broadcast media both digital terrestrial and satellite, input media through HDMI but not it's own direct raw internet stream. My macbook has display calibration options and every monitor I've had over the (many) years has had some form of adjustment but not this.

profile.country.GB.title
langleyt
Explorer

Latest update - received an email saying that I need to turn down the colour and hue to address my problem.

This is despite telling the call taker at length that adjusting the controls do not affect the issue.

Can I appeal to those who have a greater knowledge of how this system works to ask how do I escalate my problem to a level of competency which may actually give me some credible help?

Clearly the phone and email help desk can do no more than give me links to an online manual.

Anybody. Please?

Catmambo
Contributor

Yup, talk to your local repair centre, not the call centre - http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc these guys will resolve..

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
langleyt
Explorer

Well, after visiting the shop I bought it from and challenging the shop floor experts to demonstrate how to change the display settings on streamed internet and watching them fail I gave up.

Then, tonight, I had another go at searching for a solution and found it. The answer does indeed lie within the Youtube App as was suggested to me - but - you can only access the settings while pausing a video.

Select a video - pause it, press options and finally you get a menu. Do your adjustments, colour, motionflow etc and go back into Netflix and the job is done.

So it is possible to alter the picture settings for the streaming video except it is very well hidden. How on earth can that be?