Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
profile.country.en_IE.title
caspermccormack
Visitor

Very disappointed with the channels that are on the SMP-N200, I was full sure looking on the net that it was capable of streaming Netflix, RTE player and so on. I do not have Love Films or BBC player! Should of got another brand player!!!!

Batfinkk

Can you share the page where it said it had Netflix and RTE Player? Mindful that Lovefilm and BBC don't operate in Ireland, not sure why they would be on the box?

eiggstu
Visitor

Sony, how on EARTH are you caught up in this discussion?? You are probably the biggest, if not the most respected, brand of AV equipment and entertainment in the world, yet you can't strike a deal with a wee company streaming films?????!!! I'm sure that if you can't do this, then your sales of "connected" devices will plummet....ah well....cheerio.....

psiops
Visitor

i wasnt even going to reply to catmambo, i know when i am being fobed off.

i understand that the ps3 has a large market so you would want to grab them ,but processing power? so sony make a games machine more suited to watch films on than dedicated movie machines? i would like to point out the psvita a new handheld console with 0 sales units (not having been released yet)has netflix before dedicated blueray players with what surely must have severall million sales across the range,  i think in my mind sony are saying we will sell you blue ray players but we would rather you buy games machines , umd is dead is sony expecting blueray to go the same way soon, i wont say who i work for but when i finished work today my store had not sold 1 vita not even had anybody ask about it, i belong to quite a large gaming community of online rpg players that includes dc universe this can be played on pc or ps3 and was i surprised to hear that all of the people that answered the question do you play games or watch movies on the ps3 said a very predictable play games while watching dvds on pc or dvd players, sony instead of going for the film market has gone for the gaming market and seems to want to push just that,am i ranting yes i think i may be:)

profile.country.en_IE.title
shebabonnie
Visitor

hi have just bought sony bravia internet tv at a cost of 500euros plus. i was always a great believer in sony products and have bought many over the years. but have to say i am very disappointed with new tv. i bought this internet tv with the hope of using it to watch netflix only to discover its no good for that unless i use  a laptop or other device hooked up to tv. if i had know then what i know i would have bought a samsung as that works with netflix no problem..don't think i will be buying any more sony products after this. its the end of sony for me and would not recommend sony to anybody

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi all

We should be in a bit of a clearer position in the next fortnight or so with regards to launch timings and device compatibility. Rest assured we absolutely understand the eagerness of forum members to have this as an application and I'm equally keen to deliver it as soon as possible.

Thanks

deanyork
Visitor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread. i like many on here and no doubt growing rapidly are angry,frustrated,annoyed and fed up with this netflix issuue. nice last answer but dont you now think its too little too late now? i have a bravia tv and want answers... and right now seeing as we payed our hard earned money to you sony. .. and you know darn well im not the only one whos this angry at sony.... so tell us sony customers when exactly you are giving us this highly belated netflix app  across all our boards!!! ... Your on extremely thin ice  by us.. the sony consumer public and believe you me that we have the final say in linig your companies pockets so dont come across as blatantly ripping customers off and deliver these simple tasks that the rival companies do with ease!!!

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Corrected thread title

Wakey638
Visitor

I have to say that I am staggered by the lack of industry support for established online content. The hardware systems have been designed in such a modular fashion that to tack on various online apps should be a fairly simple process.  If it isn't then you're doing it wrong. Why can't there be a generic browser that can stream these web services?

To the content itself, well, it's a bit odd, let's be honest. Not exactly main-stream stuff, considering the clout of Sony I would expect there to be a far more enriched environment of online streaming apps. But no.

If this situation isn't addressed sooner rather than later then you'll probably find many more people flocking to Apple TV and the like.

You have a VERY small minority of people here expressing their frustration but I imagine that there are many, many more people who are as frustrated and have not said anything.  In the end they, and probably I, will in our own very British fashion vote with our feet.

Batfinkk

Wakey638 - What Industry are you referring to? There are only a handful of established TV services, the volume of viewing is dominated by BBC & Youtube, all the others are basically tiny in the scheme of things and they and all use entirely different standards. You have inadvertently hit the nail on the as there is no one standard, or rather there is as part of the Freeview D-Book however all the content aggregators have just ignored it, despite hardware manufacturers supporting standards like HbbTV. The Content guys are just as to blame as CE manufacturers.

Are you seriously comparing Apple TV with the Sony Platform? Maybe you are being ironic in complaining about lack of support for standards and then referring to Apple, masters of the proprietary. Seriously, what services do you gain by moving to Apple TV? Look I'm no Sony fanboy, but I'm not sure I understand your arguments here..

ukcjm1
Visitor

Good to see more people coming forward.

I'm still trying to find updates on my Blu-ray player, but nothing at all, so no Netflix for me. Shame I didn't buy something else.

Anyway, I think we should give Sony the 2 weeks that Catmambo has mentioned and then see if the update has been rolled out.

If it hasn't then I'm personally going to write to Sony and complain. Eventually if I receive no joy then I'll be selling my player and looking to buy something else. I need to be able to choose which streaming service I use - whether it's Netflix, LoveFilm or another. Sony is not allowing me to do that.