Join now - be part of our community!

No DTS passthrough via TV.

borgja_jcc

No DTS passthrough via TV.

I have a KDL-55W905, BDP-S790 Blu-Ray, and a HT-SF2000 Home Theatre.

For various reasons, I must use my TV as a HDMI-Switch, with the TV connected to the home theatre via optical cable.
When I watch DVDs or Blu-Rays encoded in Dolby Digital, the signal is passed through correctly with superb surround sound. But if I watch a DVD/Blu-Ray encoded in DTS, it only transmits stereo.
I have to move the optical cable from the TV to the Blu-Ray-player to enjoy full DTS surround.

Anyone know if there's a workaround (other than switch inputs on the home theatre of course).. Any settings i have missed?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The only setting that I can see in regards to your problem is : Ensure that Digital Audio Out is set to AUTO and not PCM.  See instructions below

Steps

1. Press the HOME button, then select [Settings] using the / buttons.

2. Select [Sound] using the / buttons, then press the button.

3. Select [Digital Audio Out] using the / buttons, then press the button.

4. Select [Auto] or [PCM] using the / buttons, then press the button.
    Select [Auto] if the device connected via DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) is compatible with Dolby Digital. Select [PCM] if the device is not compatible with Dolby Digital.

Cheers

H5N1_NL
New

Did you allready found a solution? I've got the same problem with watching movies via my NAS. DD no problem, but DTS comes out as stereo.

anybody?

profile.country.NL.title
Tjeu64
Explorer

Same problem here, with two other Sony TV's (W6 &W8) only DD, no DTS passthrough. I was hoping to get rid of my old mediaplayers when I bought those tv's.

Anybody at Sony who can help out please?

Dan0sz
Explorer

I seem to have the same issue with my brand-new 48W705C. Whenever I play a mkv-file with DTS in Plex for Bravia-app with DTS-support on I don't hear any audio. When I turn off the DTS-support in Plex the sound comes out of my HT770-soundbar as Dolby.

Must be a firmware-issue, right?

Any help?

H5N1_NL
New

It's a license issue. Sony did not pay, I guess. The solution is an additional mediaplayer with the licenses you need. I bought a simple mede8er. Plays DTS HD flawlessly.

Greetz

Dan0sz
Explorer

Really? Well, it's not that big of a deal. I'll just wait until Plex for Playstation supports dts. And use it there. 😊

Dan0sz
Explorer

Another question: if it's a licensing issue. Does that mean that the hardware does support it and that one day, might Sony ever decide to pay the license fees, it only takes a firmware update to enabke dts passthrough?