Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
tennysonman

You will all be pleased to know that BBC iPlayer is now back in service.

View solution in original post

152 REPLIES 152
DavidR1944
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem! What is going on between Sony and the BBC?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi DavidR1944 - what model TV do you have?

DavidR1944
Explorer

Hi, It's in the title: Bravia KDL 32EX503. As in the initial post our set is connected by via a homeplug to our BT Infinity router with download speed in the 25-40 Mbits/sec range. This a new problem only affecting the BBC i-player. DavidR1944

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

Before close of business today, i asked my contact within Sony if there was any reported issues with BBC iPlayer and 2010 TVs, at that time there had been no reported issues and only 1 post on this forum - so the assumption was a singular issue.  The problem we have now is that it is the weekend......

So in the meantime, i guess a little troubleshooting to see exactly where the issue is.  I note that you both have fibre broadband, so its good to start there

1. When did you first notice iPlayer not working?
  2. Model of TV?
  3. Firmware version of TV?
  4. Have you conducted a factory reset?
  5. What is your ISP?
  6. Is your IP address located in the UK - https://www.iplocation.net
  7. What router do you have?

Just trying to figure out anything in common.

DavidR1944
Explorer

First noticed the problem yesterday evening - but have been away and not attempted to use i-player for some weeks. TV was disconnected from mains whilst on holiday. Firmware is the latest - as in original post. ISP is BT and the router is BT Home Hub 3.0.

On the BBC i-player help site:

i-player help.external.bbc.co.UK/TV/connected/other/about/Sony

it lists my Bravia model as NOT certified for use with the iplayer!

It looks like Sony need to re-apply for certification having produced an update to "give a good i-player experience" in the words of the BBC!

Over to you Sony!

Longbow8

Have since been testing my connections LANside and the router table shows succesful connects and disconnects for all wired and Wi-Fi including the Bravia. No IP address conflicts and router can see SSID OK. Default Gateway and DNS settings in the Bravia are correct. My latest guess was that the WANside IP address for Iplayer had been garbled by the Bravia and couldn't be routed correctly. So I was planning a firmware reload to try and iron this out.

Thanks David, Your information about lack of registration is really helpful, I didn't know anything about that. 

Re posted questions - Wed 18th Nov 15 Iplayer was OK Thu 19th it failed.

Other answers as in original post. Please note that Sony were sent an email about this on Thursday...as yet no reply.

Longbow8

I see that the "Temporarily cannot access the server" error is now being looked at by the BBC. http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/connected/sony_nov_bravia

DavidR1944
Explorer

That's good news! Hopefully the problem will soon be sorted!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Longbow8 @DavidR1944

I have editted the subject topic on this thread to something more meaninful (hopefully) and have removed your other post Longbow8 - in regards to pointing people to this thread.  I hope you dont mind.

Fingers crossed that the BBC can rectify this rather quickly