Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
Rubertel
Explorer

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure the TV is seeing a UK IP address, it's the same settings as other devices and YouTube on the TV thinks I'm in the UK.

Tried a couple of factory resets, one time it did show the BBC sites for an hour or so, then they disappeared.

The software version is 8.582.1000-1.200-01 which according to the TV Download is the latest version but I'll download the klatest version for the Sony support page and try an USB upgrade.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition, the BBC are actively combatting VPNs :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/19/bbc_cuts_off_vpn_to_iplayer/

Rubertel
Explorer

Thanks, I know about the BBC blocking VPN's but they haven't blocked Smart-DNS services (which I use on other devices and have tried on the TV)

The problem is that the BBC services aren't even showing up on the 'Internet Services' list although NetFlix is and they block both VPN's and Smart-DNS.