Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
MikeThornhill
Explorer

I have the same problem with a Sony KDL-46EX713, has been giving that message for the last few days.   Amazon prime and Sony films are all fine so no issue with the internet connection.

Looks like it has happened before...

http://www.sony-europe.com/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/bbc-iplayer-not-working/KDL-40EX650

Longbow8

It is worth noting that the error message people will see on their screens when trying to use BBC iPlayer is "Temporarily cannot access the server" not "Servers could not be found" The latter is the error encountered when trying to use server diagnostics from the network menu. 

abrown6
New

I have exactly the same problem, iPlayer is not loading and gives a message stating that the server is temporarily unavailable.  First noticed the problem last week on my KDL-40EX703, firmware is up to date (PKG4.131EUL-0108), ISP is Virgin Media via a Superhub and IP address is in the UK.  I tried a factory reset with no luck - hope this helps?

Bravia 32EX403 & BBC iplayer

It has all worked well for about a year.  Now  (and for the last week or so) TV shows message "Temporarily cannot access server" when trying to access iplayer

All internet diagnostics suggest that internet access is actually OK.  iplayer is available on a PC.  So what server cannot be found?  Is the Bravia trying to access my PC?  Has there been a Bravia software update, I wonder?

I tried the Sky news widget.  It worked, but gave me a news report that must have been at least 6 months out of date.  Not sure whether that is a helpful finding. 

Can anyone advise?

Longbow8

Hi. Thanks to MikeThornhill we now know it has happened before and on that occasion Sony said "We’ve already identified the cause and will release a fix next week." On Friday 20th Nov the BBC listed the problem on the IPlayer help page with the comment "We’ll update this FAQ when we have more info." So hopefully both will look at the issue on Monday. Hope this helps to clarify a little.

GR_Dragons
Explorer

We lost iplayer access sometime Friday after it had been working fine for years.  Other internet links seem to be working fine - eg Sky News (I think that's via the internet anyway). Our TV is hardwired to a bt hub.  We get the same "Temporarily cannot access the server try again later message"

Longbow8

Hi GR_Dragons, I've just checked http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/connected/sony_nov_bravia and there is no update about this problem. I still get the same error message on my screen. I'm new to this community, does anyone know how we get Sony to give us some information please?

I have the same problem with a KDL-32EX403 running software version: PKG4-131EUL-0108.

I get a message "Temporarily cannot access the server.  Please retry"

Hope there is a resolution soon as it is a great facility.

chivvy
Explorer

I have same problem with my kdl-40ex503 since Friday. Other connected services are working fine.

Message is "Temporarily cannot access the server.  Please retry"

Pete

Longbow8

Hi I have just spoken to Sony Support who have promised to post a reply here shortly