Join now - be part of our community!

Opinions of 3D please!

profile.country.GB.title
Cath201
New

Opinions of 3D please!

Hi there!

We're considering buying a Sony 3D TV. This is a major purchase for us and will probably be the last TV that we buy. What do people think of their 3D TVs?  How many pairs of 3D glasses have they bought- we're thinking of  buying four pairs - although can't believe how expensive they are!

I've researched how the 3D viewing without glasses is going, but that seems quite a few years away yet.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Well worth checking them out in person to be honest regardless of the number of reviews you read as then you will get a first hand experience of the quality and experience. Bear in mind that the majority of what you will watch will be either in HD or SD - 3D is still an event based offering, i.e. the big footy match on Sky, the 3D movie premiere or gaming via Playstation 3. Whilst you can upscale non 3D content to 3D, the effect is not as good as natively recorded 3D, such as a 3D game or movie.

Indeed - quality glasses free 3D is a good few years off so you can buy 3D with confidence.

Hope this helps

profile.country.GB.title
Cath201
New

Thanks Catmambo, I will look at a few different models/makes.

iagibso49

The Sony models are notoriously bad for painfully flickering displays in 3D. Try Panasonic or Samsung.

pcamichel
Visitor

Samsung 3D TV's flicker really badly.  The flicker is significantly less on a Sony model.

iagibso49

I've noticed my Sony does settle down after a few minutes, but still with painful amounts of flicker with light colours.

I wonder if future firmware updates or new models of glasses could improve this, and whether Sony have any planned. If not, they seriously need to investigate this. Because Sony 3D TV is unwatchable. It's is too tiring on the eyes.

ovidiusuciu
Visitor

The best option until now would be the Panasonic one. with 200 images/second.

See the new 3D TVs they have now, as far as I know they are awarded!

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/VIERA+Overview/285290/index.html

here is what they state:

"In addition to increasing the generated frames from 50 to 200 frames per second, backlight control has evolved through area splitting. The backlight's fine blinking reduces afterimages, to produce smooth, fast movements without blurring. Sports scenes, action scenes and other fast-motion images are crisp and clear."

The rest is marketing crap, in my opinion. Do you know some serious competitors for these?

Message was edited by: ovidiusuciu

profile.country.FR.title
ClarkLong
Expert

On the market the best 3D experience will be with Panasonic (plasma VT Series)

2nd place will be Sony, drop poor Samsung technology...

Sony 3D has a lot of ghosting but since this year, the HX850/HX950 have the bravia engine X pro feature working on the 3D video too and it's a BIG improvement. Ghosting are still there (LCD issue) but reduced to 10%.

Bravia55HX

utter nonsense ClarkLong!, all the reviews and awards for the HX853 says otherwise and so do i, 3D performance on my 55HX853 is very good indeed even using the new BR750 glasses it far better than earlier sets with its 4x faster panel images are very good and no ghosting either!

profile.country.FR.title
ClarkLong
Expert

As good as the HX85 is, it can't prevent flicker & crosstalk...and as a consequence Ghosting. As I said it is a BIG improvement compare to earlier panels...but it is still there at lower levels.

If you've found any reviews saying there is no crosstalk please share link ...A simple google search with both key word "hx850" & ghosting give enough results for extra opinions about this...

And if you read with care what I wrote..SONY is still best 3D screen in LCD technology :wink:

The Panasonic VT series is Plasma 😃