Join now - be part of our community!

RECORDER PROBLEMS

BERNM2013
Explorer

RECORDER PROBLEMS

For some years now I have happily operated a SONY RECORDER RDR-HXD870 paired with a SONY BRAVIA TV 40EX523 set for FREEVIEW. Situated in Cambridgeshire we receive signals from the SANDY HEATH transmitter.  Recorder is Hardware version 435 and Software version 115.

On Friday 19 July when attempting to set up more Timer Recordings using the Recorder Digital EPG, the latter flashed up briefly in a format not of the usual style/font and started to populate with information and then went blank. A normal single Click on the System Information key produced nothing and it took a second click to obtain the usual screen choices. The only way to now set HDD recordings is via the tedious Timer method. Later I noticed that the Recorder display was showing UPDATE and this continued overnight and all day today ! The Recorder would accept no input from the handset and the only way to access the existing recorded programmes was to briefly turn off the power and then restore and navigate to the System Information screen with Title List etc.

I wondered if a System Update had become corrupted in some way and, being cynical, wondered if it was linked to the main TV Channel updates that have featured all last week for the SKY 950 series HD channels ! For the main broadcast channels there has been an irritating reminder each time at switch-on for a choice of Channel 950,951 etc with the Default set at Yes, requiring a physical handset change to No. 

It all sounds like a Software Update gone wrong, but how do I undo it ?!

5 REPLIES 5
ArcadiaSFX
Explorer

aaaaghhh I am having the same problems too - I have tried resetting the unit by pressing stop and power off at the same time as per the manual, but retuning channels etc just results in a black screen.  Anyone else out there able to help??

RuthC7
Explorer

Well, at least I'm reassured that others have the same problem, although I haven't found a solution!! I have the same problem (commenced 19th July). The EPG font/appearance was very different and the picture crashes after approx 1.5 secs. Re-tuning found all my digital (Freeview) channels, and the digital channel number appears on the  otherwise blank screen. Some channels will give a corrupted or still picture for the same 1.5 secs before crashing. I have also tried resetting to the factory defaults by pressing the stop and power buttons simultaneously. However, the latter doesn't appear to work either, possibly becuse the unit defaults automatically to 'Update' mode whether switched on or off at the front. I have disconnected it from the mains for 5 minutes, re-connected, switched on at the front, and again, the unit just goes into 'Update' mode on its own. And that's where I'm at. I will leave it for 24hrs and see if it resolves itself (I don't know if Sony can release a repair software download) and let people know. If that doesn't work, is there a way that this discussion thread can be forwarded to Sony technical dept?

I am also having the same problem, I have a HXD890 and the display panel has said 'Update' since last night, leaving the recorder unresponsive.
profile.country.GB.title
matthewawebster
Explorer

Thank you for this post. You have exactly described my experience with the Guide now 10 years later. Perhaps I am one of the few people still using this recorder. Retuning to Belgium did restore my digital channels however I was son back in update hell. I have successfully retuned agin to UK and all seems OK again … so far.