Join now - be part of our community!

S/PDIF DTS 5.1 from TV or Bluray player

profile.country.SE.title
Midaz45645735684684567465

S/PDIF DTS 5.1 from TV or Bluray player

Hello fellows.

Having an 65W855A Bravia TV and looking for a good Bluray player to complete the set.

I am going to pull the S/PDIF cable through the wall to the speakers main unit which is

located 10M or so away.

I was reading the BDP-S5200 is a compact player that does 3D and has triluminous

which is nice since the TV has it.

The question is:

Should I connect optical S/PDIF to the speaker unit from the TV or should I connect

using the electrical S/PDIF from the bluray player instead. Whats the difference really

since the TV and bluray player are joined with an HDMI cable and so therefore

the sound can pass back and fourth between the devices.

Main goal is to be able to enjoy DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1 no matter what I am currently viewing.

So TV broadcasts, Netflix etc, Blurays, DLNA/USB playback should transmit its sound

using the S/PDIF cable.

regards

-Peter

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I would connect it to the TV, as it gives greater flexibility.  Im assuming there is a reason that you are using optical to connect to your audio system?

As an opinion, if you have an "old/ish/er" audio system, I would be probably changing it - have you considered an AV Receiver?

Cheers

profile.country.SE.title

Thanks for reply.

I will use an optical/coaxial s/pdif --> analog converter to feed to an older surround system.

I read somewhere that the tv could not properly pass-through surround sound through hdmi

so if I am watching a bluray, the player will feed this sound to the tv through hdmi

but the tv will not pass this sound on to and out through the s/pdif port. (this is the

part I would like to be verified)

I am thinking maybe I can use the s/pdif port on the bluray player instead to get the sound that way.

It seems for example the bdp-s5200 can output dts hd and true hd so chances are it can properly

output surround sound through its s/pdif too.

-Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Midaz45645735684684567465 wrote:

I will use an optical/coaxial s/pdif --> analog converter to feed to an older surround system.

Thats the part I dont understand?  Are you using a mix of coaxial and optical? - Either way, this is probably the weak link.  S/PDIF (on either optical or coaxial) does not support DTS-HD or TRUEHD - and will down convert.

If playing files via USB/DLNA it would be best to play it via the bluray player (and have audio connected to it) as the TV only supports DTS Core and not DTS5.1

In regards to your main question:

@Midaz45645735684684567465 wrote:

I read somewhere that the tv could not properly pass-through surround sound through hdmi

so if I am watching a bluray, the player will feed this sound to the tv through hdmi

but the tv will not pass this sound on to and out through the s/pdif port. (this is the

part I would like to be verified)

There are two issues here, and this is where I think you have confused them

• When playing files via USB/DLNA, the TV will not "pass-though" the audio signal to the "Audio System" for the audio system to decode.  The TV will process (read/decode) the audio signal from the file/s and then output the audio via LPCM (PCM) to the audio system.  As far as I know, you cannot set the audio system to decode the audio from the file when playing directly on the TV.
  • If you connect a bluray player to the TV via HDMI and then an audio system via optical from the TV, this will still output the audio,  Simply set the TV's external speakers to "audio system".  In this case, the bluray player will be processing the audio signal from whatever is playing on the player and then output it (ultimately to the audio system connected to the TV).  Again, you are not using "audio pass-through" directly onto the audio system.  However in your case, this is probably better as the bluray player is decoding the audio, of which is probably better than the audio system you have currently???  Besides, as I stated above, using S/PDIF either coaxial or optical (or a converter) you are not going to get the HD audio such as TRUE HD or DTS-HD Master Audio.

What audio system do you have?

Hopefully this explains things a little

The following link may also explain things (maybe better than me )  :slight_smile:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=13250

Cheers

profile.country.SE.title

Thanks Quinnicus,

No I am trying to figure out which is best - optical from TV or coaxial from player.

Yes I know S/PDIF supports standard Dolby and DTS-core 1.509Mbit I suppose

which is like DD-5.1 or DTS-5.1. - Just want to tell so I have understood it correctly.

I dont understand - Isn't DTS-5.1 part of DTS-core and DD-5.1 is part of Dolby-core.

The sound system I have is a simple Creative Inspire T7100 - It works

Now I am abit unsure - looking in the manual for the 65W855A states the following:

Audio: Two channel linear PCM: 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz, 16, 20 and 24 bits, Dolby Digital
ARC (Audio Return Channel) (HDMI IN 1 only)

Digital optical jack (Two channel linear PCM, Dolby Digital)

Ok so this means the TV will send out sound using ARC via HDMI-1 using either stereo PCM or DD-5.1 sound.

The TV will send out through S/PDIF either stereo PCM or DD-5.1 even during pass-through.

The TV will however NOT output DTS-5.1 surround through ARC neither will it output it through S/PDIF.

Why would Sony strip away DTS-core from S/PDIF and HDMI ARC

It seems most Bluray titles use DTS nowadays - so why doesn't Sony support DTS-core:smileyconfused:

Since the TV internally can handle DTS surround - Can we expect Sony to fix the DTS issue

so it can properly send DTS over ARC and also out through S/PDIF?.

regards

-Peter