Join now - be part of our community!

Screen refresh not complete with Virgin V6

profile.country.GB.title
Ireallyhateusernames

Screen refresh not complete with Virgin V6

Hi,

My Sony KD55-AG8 keeps asking me to refresh the screen, but when I press ok, I hear a “click” after a few minutes and get a red flashing light at the bottom of the screen (about 6 flashes, stops, then flashes again).
I have contacted Sony, (4 days ago) and it seems this is quite a common issue with Virgin V6 boxes. The representative suspected Virgin might be blocking my software updates, and when I checked I was 2 behind, so I’m not running the latest software apparently (this should be automatic but for some reason it isn’t happening.) My tv is connected to wi-fi, and apps all seem to work, although I was watching football on Amazon Prime last night, and half way through it stopped, and a message said I had an error and to go to amazonprime/video (there was nothing on their site about this issue though). I checked again this morning and cannot watch Prime, but I can see YouTube and BBCiplayer. Something is obviously amiss and I suspect Sony are aware of this, but won’t openly admit it’s a problem. I cannot believe the problem is with my Virgin V6 box (where there are no privacy settings set to block anything), and as I can’t seem to download the updates, Sony are sending me a USB stick with them on (hopefully I’ll get it today), and phoning me a couple of days later to see if it works. So I will update the forum after I have downloaded their updates, but I’m interested if anyone can throw any light on this from their own experience/knowledge. 
My tv currently asks me to refresh every time I switch it off, but as it doesn’t complete hopefully it’s not damaging the tv (which is 7 months old by the way). It has started to allow me to say “No” to updates now, so won’t be trying to update every time.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi there, 

It's best to contact Sony Support about this. 

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
Ireallyhateusernames

Follow up: received a USB flash-stick from Sony and plugged it in. Automatically updated and problem solved. It seems there is an issue with Sony Oled tv’s not automatically updating, and Sony have to issue the updates to owners via flash sticks (or offer advice how to download updates themselves from their website if they have a large enough capacity stick).
Shame they don’t contact New owners to advise & instead wait until the problem occurs. But I have to say the Sony customer service representative I spoke to was very professional and helpful, which somewhat restored my faith in Sony.