Join now - be part of our community!

SD interlacing and jaggies on the 40HX753

profile.country.en_GB.title
RNM123
New

SD interlacing and jaggies on the 40HX753

I have upgraded from a previous Sony LCD TV for 3D and Smart TV, but am having some big problems with interlacing on SD content with this new set...

1. What exactly is this X-Reality engine doing to improve the SD picture? I had no problmes on my previous Sony TV, but on this one I get extreme problems with inerlacing/combing/jaggies when playing video tapes through the Scart input. Now this is important for me, as I like retro formats, and have a large tape library of VHS and v2000. A main reason for me choosing this set was that it promised great quality for SD, yet it can't even de-interlace/filter correctly. In fact the problem is so bad, that it's virtually unwatchable. I have had to move my video machines into the other room with an old 14" CRT portable TV, as I just can't watch on this set. I have reduced the problem as much as possible by turning off the edge enhancer and detail enhancer, but it does not elimate the problem, which is clearly in the OS, and doesn;t appear to be alterable by any manual setting on the TV. Is there a way tod eal with this, or a firmware fix planned to sort it out?  I have been looking online, and others have reported the same problem, so it's not a fault localized to my set.

While I'm here, can I just ask about some other issues as well? My apologies if they've been covered elsewhere...

2. The Sony Channel on SEN. Does not appear to work properly. Most of the thumbnails never load up, a lot fo the videos won't play at all. It either hangs or skips onto the next video. This is not exactly good. It isn;t isolated to my set either, as I have since tested this in a local showroom. It's a network fault fo some kind. Will it be fixed soon?

3. INternet. The browser seems badly inadequate and incapable of doing what it's supposed to. This set was clearly marked as being able to do Facebook, yet it keeps running out of memory all the time, and cannot display a simple main feed page. I find this all over the net when I try to use it.

Also, there is no support for a wireless keyboard, and a wireless mouse, which is thankfully supported, responds terribly, with sluggish response.

Are there fixes due for these issues?

4. Youtube. Does not display a number of videos. I have looked up my own channel on youtube, and videos from years ago (so its not a problem with recent Flash updates) just simply don't display. Also, it seems unable to play anything in HD that is more than about 5 minutes long (inadequate buffer capacity?), and the navigation options are aterrible. There's no way to bookmark channels, or set it to show the 'uploaded by date' lists in reverse so the most recent can be seen first. Have I missed something, is there a way to change this, or are all of these issues going to be fixed by firmware updates?

Thank you for your help, I appreitae this is a new model, and may have some teething problems, but these issues go against some of the key points that this TV was advertised as being good for, so they're rather serious.

I look forward to your replies, espeically in relation to the SD interlacing problems, :slight_smile:

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
RNM123
New

sorry, something else as well. the TV cant find my PC over the network for streaming content. The house is all hardwired up. Shouldn't have any problems as far as I can see. Any ideas?

profile.country.uk_UA.title
solsky
New

Hi,

I have exactly same problem on KDL-40EX653,

when I watch standard definition video from analog TV tuner and digital TV tuner (576i).

I think to return Sony KDL-40EX653  and take Philips or Panasonic, SD video working much better.