Join now - be part of our community!

soft horizontal lines on KDL-40HX753 screen.

eido_uk
New

soft horizontal lines on KDL-40HX753 screen.

A few years ago I bought this model of TV after extensive time spent looking ofr a TV that is good with 3D and standard definiton, and at the time this was the best option I could afford. I have searced for 'horizontal lines on sony tv screen', but everythign that comes up is somewhat different to this, usually hard lines. What I have here is a series of soft lines, often slightly 'splaying out' at the edges. They have been coming and going over the course of the last couple of months, and the intensity of their 'visibleness' can change. Usually they are roughly just under a centimetre in height. They can appear in different places. They are very distracting when they appear. They have been very difficult to try to photograph, despite being very clear tothe naked eye, the camera has trouble seeing them. To get this picture I had to plunge the room into darkness and crank the brightness up on the set, and even then the camera could only just about pick up twp of them, despite six being very easily visible. The lines mostly show up on things where there's a big bit of image that's the same colour (such as a wall), and are especially visible if something is moving up or down the screen.

Last week things too a turn for the worst. There are now four lines acfross the screen, each just over an inch in height, one being right in the middle of the screen, and it's the brightest. The whole thing looks like some kind of series of horizontal discrepancies in the brightness/contrast/backlight. No amount of changing the settings makes any difference to the lines. They appear on all modes, and all inputs.

I am disabled and fairly housebound for the most part. I have to rely on home entertainment a lot as leaving the house if often difficult. I do have another (old CRT) set in another room, and tend to spread my useage between the two, so this set doesn't get used every day, and rarely have a set on for more than three hours at the most.

The appearance of 3D sets was something I had dreamed of for a long time, I recall the 3d movies of the 1980's. It took me a long time to save to buy this, it cost £1000, and also to save to buy a special 3d Blu_Ray player that could play discs from America, as they have a lot of classic 3d movies that have never been released here in the UK. I also watch a lot of old video tapes, so a decent SD image is vital for me.

I am really worried about this problem. I am not in a position to replace this set. Even if I could afford it, they don't make 3D sets anymore (I am appaled at this, and how we've been abandonned), so there's nothing remotely suitable to take it's place. Also, every 4k set (which I have no interest in) I've seen is dire on SD, and TV's seem to have moved from 40" up to 42" which is actually slightly too big to fit my room practically. I am dreading losing this set to problems, the lines are horribly distracting and seem to have become permanant, and I don;t want to lose my 3D.

I have shown the image to the local repair place, and he doesn't seem to think it's a backlight problem due to the placement of the lines.

I don not want to do a factory reset; I've done that on countless things over time, and it's never wroked once. It took me ages to get the different inputs on this TV to be good, the defaults made it look terrible,with all the motion flow etc, and the 3D was jerky when it was out of the box. I do not want to have to try reseting everything back again, especially if it's all for nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what this problem is, and how it can be fixed? You may need to look at the image in the dark to see the lines. I have put the Samsung BD player on screensaver to create the black image to make it more visible for the picture.

Any help appreciated.. :slight_smile:

(I don't understand why this has been marked as spam and nobody other than me can see it. What's wrong with it?) 😞

lines on tv screen.jpg

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @eido_uk and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Its probably best you contact Sony Support about this,

their details can be found Here