Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KDL-20S4000 TV and HDMI cables

profile.country.en_GB.title
dignanreaddewar
Visitor

Sony Bravia KDL-20S4000 TV and HDMI cables

Okay, i am tearing my receding hair out here.

When connecting to a satellite box (SKY) via a 3m HDMI cable the screen is a little snowy and every few seconds the picture blanks out. We tried swapping to a different 3m HDMI cable and the same problem occurred. However, with a 1.5m cable it works perfectly.

I then swapped in a different Sony TV I have (FWD-S42H1) and this works perfectly with all the cables including the 1.5m one!

Therefore, we can only assume it is a TV issue with the KDL-20S4000.

Does anyone know any way to workaround this (using the 1.5m cable is not an option). Firmware update? Factory reset?

many thanks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I dont believe that there is a firmware update available, however a factory reset certainly wouldnt do much harm (you never know). It is interesting that the 2 x 3 meter HDMI cables have not worked, but work on another TV, and that the 1.5 meter ones work.

At first point of call, I would ensure that they are of decent quality (the HDMI cables i mean), they are of reasonable price on amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/PRO-GOLD-RED-15-2Gbps-COMPATIBLE/dp/B002U3I1EW/

Secondly, im looking at a workaround here, have you tried using the RCA composite cables (the Yellow, Red and White ones), they should also work with a Sky box too.

Hope that helps.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

good cables!, i use a 2 meter one, has anyone ever considered it might be a dish issue?, like the signal may be weak, and is strong enough for a short cable but not a long one?, just a thought.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Didnt consider Dish or reception issues, as Glenwade stated that all cables work on a different TV. It could be weak signal strength. Some TV's are more open to a weaker signal that others i guess.

However, the sky box is only transmitting to the TV via HDMI, what it receives. So if a shorter HDMI works but a long one doesnt, I cant see it being a weak signal. I see it being a HDMI issue, maybe electrical interference with unshielded cheaper cables, or the likes.

Maybe its a combination of them both?