Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KDL-40HX723 very tinny and poor sound

profile.country.en_GB.title
ParisAngel123
Visitor

Sony Bravia KDL-40HX723 very tinny and poor sound

I have just received my new Sony KDL-40EX723 and I am really disappointed with the sound and can't seem to get any of the settings to improve it.  The treble is very noticeable despite having changing some of the settings around.  Even with the treble being at minmum and the bass at maximum, it makes no difference. The sound is extremely tinny and not what I'd expect from a Sony tv. Is there any settings adjustments I could try as I don't want to have to go out and pay another £200 for a home theatre system. Any suggestions would be welcome.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

I have not experience with the HX723, the HX923 does not have bad sound. However I would not expect incredible speakers in thin TV’s; that is not to say that it should not be better. Have you consider getting a sound bar? I know that it is extra money but I do not think that the settings have many controls to make it better. You reduce the treble and increased the bass. I assume that you have play with the surround and other settings. It seems that it comes to speakers limitations. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will join soon. It might be that the TV has a fault.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

it will not matter which model of the latest tv you have, maufacturers in their quest to make them thinner have to compromise on sound, the main problem here in order for the speakers to fit is that they are downward firing, which means they are mounted in the cabinet pointing downward instead of forwards to save space.

this for example is like (exaggerated of coarse!) is like listening to someone behind a closed door! and you have to turn up the sound to hear it, for most people its ok, sadly for the likes of us who like to listen to movies etc it tends to fall a little flat, hence the need for home cinema kits.

for most sadly thats a unessessary expense so the next best solution is a soundbar, i know you should not have to but there it is, if one cant be bothered to audition the set properly prior to purchase (and forgive me for saying) then its something you will have to put up with im afraid or go and get a soundbar and improve it.

it wont stop there, just look at Samsungs new C9000 series at .31 of an inch, can only imagine what that sounds like and it wont be long before the manufacturers make them so thin your gonna need a separate soundbar anyway!

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Another solution might be if you have a small stereo system already. You might be able to connect the TV to this system by using an optical cable or whichever output connection you TV has and input connection you stereo has. Most recent stereos have a wide range on inputs and some of them might be found quite cheaply.

profile.country.GB.title
buccaneer1
New

I did that years ago on and old Phillips TV and put the sound out in the room via a Sony stereo system. Worked fine. Just going to have to do something similar on my new Sony Bravia which has awful sound.