Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KDL-48WD653

Pit_boss
Explorer

Sony Bravia KDL-48WD653

I got the TV a week ago, i like the picture quality, the sound quality and the crisp colors.

But! 

Where are all the apps!?

It´s announced as a smart TV but with just 8 (Eight! ) apps and that poor exuse of an apps stor called Opera TV Store  that TV is pretty f*ing far from smart

Opera TV Store hade 1 app i could use, Plex, the other 50-ish is just p o s apps to make it look like there is actual content available.

I hope there is more coming, because right now, its pretty much a 48" monitorscreen who is in desperat need of a Nvidia Shield TV or other simular box. 

Regards 

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not too sure what apps you are after, but there really is only a couple more left to add - that is Amazon Video, BerlinPhil and 500px.  The rest via the Opera TV store.

Cheers

Pit_boss
Explorer

I´d be nice to have the posibility to add Kodi, HBO, or playchanels in general and some sort of web browser, 

The way it is now is kind of limiting, sure i have plex in Opera TV store, but then i have to open up Opera TV Store everytime i want to launch Plex. 

Don´t get me wrong, i like the tv but demand more of a tv sold as "smart TV" 

Hell, my € 250 Samsung has access to Google playstore and the possibility to add alot more apps.

One thing that bugs me is the fact that it won´t find my 5G network, even though my router Asus RT-AC87U is on the opposite side from my tv, a 2x4" sheetwall seperates the tv from my router. 

I do have other Sony products that i think rocks, a Z4 Tablet, and a Z5 Premium. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Kodi is only available on Sonys Android based TVs.  HBO is American and is geo-blocked to the rest of the world - unless you bypass it via smartdns or vpn etc.  So not available in UK.  Im not sure what playchannels are.  

Yes, unfortunately any app via opera store must be run via them.  

To be absolutely frank, from what you have written, i dont think this is the right TV for you.  From your needs, you needed to look at purchasing an Android based one.  This model is priced at the budget end for a smart TV, aimed at a different customer.  You seem to require more.  Is it too late to return tv and change models?  If not, have you thought about an Amazon Fire TV stick for £35?

In regards to Wifi.  Im using a 2016 TV and it finds my 5Ghz network just find (Asus DSL-AC68U).  I dont suppose you have a hidden SSID by any chance?  

In regards to a web browser, can you confirm that there definately is not one?  If not, ill take this up with Sony and find out - as im sure there should be one.  Based on Opera browser that is.

Cheers

Pit_boss
Explorer

HI, thanks for the reply.

Regarding HBO and there availability in the UK is out of my knowledge, I reside in the glorious country of Sweden.  Where we actually have access to HBO and HBO go, the playchannels I'm interested in would be viaplay for example.  

And my WiFi is not hidden in anyway, my 2 Samsung tv's pick it up with out any problem, so does my phones and tablet. 

It's not to late to send it back, but I'll think I'll keep it and just hook it up to a set top box. 

Regards Mattias