Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Dongle problem

DMS111
New

Sony Dongle problem

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40EX723 which has been wirelessly connected to my broadband for the past year.  Whilst the TV worked perfectly well, things like BBC iPlayer and Youtube were a bit slow at times, so I decided to get fibre broadband installed and recently Talktalk provided a free fibre router.  Since it was installed my wireless connection to the TV (which is only about 20 feet from the router)  dropped completely.  I can only get a slow connection using a 1.5m extension cable, but its not very satisfactory.  Talktalk have suggested that my Sony Dongle UWA-BR100 may need a driver update.   Can you please tell me how I get the latest driver, or can you suggest any other reason why my wireless connection is so bad.  Since I got fibre broadband my speeds on my laptop have increased considerably, so the router is working well.  Can you please help? 

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately that is a typical TalkTalk response (im with them too by the way).  If it worked fine before the new router (all be it slow), therefore this seems to probably be a wifi issue.

When you got the new router, did you do another rescan or available networks on your TV (as its probably on a new SSID and password)

Another thing to do, is to ensure that you have the latest firmware.  According to the support pages of your model, you should be on PKG4.022EUA.  See HERE for more information.

You can also try a factory reset of the TV - to flush anything out as such.

Considering that your router is not very far away from the TV, have you considered using an ethernet cable instead of wireless?  As this will boost performance and increase stability issues.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

As per @Anonymous note.. Streaming video is always going to be better over wire than wifi - I have odd blackspots in my place for no reason.

Would seriously recommend considering Homeplugs like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url For £20 will solve all the issues, reviews are excellent also.