Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-43X7000E Surround sound Optical pass through ?

profile.country.GB.title
mavaidy27
Explorer

Sony KD-43X7000E Surround sound Optical pass through ?

Hi

I have purchased Sony KD-43X7000E  (Bravia 4K HDR )

I do get 5.1 surround through my TV speakers. I am planning to buy SONOS playbase, I am wondering whether this Sony TV passes all 5.1 surround sound through optical audio output ?

Or does is only outout 2.0 stereo ?

any idea ?

Note: Sonos playbase only has optical audio input.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sony TVs comply with the SPDIF standard.  So you would get 2.0 uncompressed PCM audio or 5.1/7.1 of compressed surround sound audio (i.e. DTS).

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Manu_T

With regards to compressed 5.1 surround sound.

I thought Sony TV's were only compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1 and NOT DTS?

For DTS (so far only seen on DVD's and blu-ray) I connect my Blu-Ray player with its own optical cable to the AV-receiver. In my case an old Sony STR-DG520. This amp has 2 optical inputs and one coaxial digital input. The latter is used to connect my desktop PC (which also has Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 but none o/t newer surround options). From what discovered so far, optical cables only have enough bandwith for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 and none of the newer formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. Also in my country digital TV is either PCM 48 (uncompressed 2.0) or Dolby Digital 2.0

I noticed, when playing a DTS DVD-movie, that if I use the TV optical output to the amp, audio is converted to PCM 48. While the blu-rayplayer's optical output correctly transfers DTS.

I hope this is helpfull,

Manu T