Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-55X8505B TV and SkyQ 4K UHD Not Working

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jimt99
Explorer

Sony KD-55X8505B TV and SkyQ 4K UHD Not Working

Have tried to turn on SkyQ 2160 resolution, with my Sony KD-55X8505B connected, but just get a blank screen which then resets back to 1080 HD. This happens for both 10-bit and 8-bit colour settings and for all 4 HDMI inputs. On the SkyQ box I get the error message UH031 for HDMI inputs 1 & 2, and error message UH011 for HDMI inputs 3 & 4.

My understanding is that HDMI inputs 1& 2 are the only ones that support HDCP 2.2. The error message for HDMI inputs 3 & 4 I think relates to a problem with HDCP 2.2 being absent.

I have tried my TV connection via my Yamaha RX-A3050 (which supports HDCP 2.2) and with a HDMI cable (supplied together with the SkyQ box) directly but get the same blank screen and error message.

The TV was just this week upgraded to the PKG3.001EUA operating system with no improvement in the 2160 support.

Have called and emailed the Sony support centre numerous times. Their only suggestion was to reset the TV back to factory settings but this did not help.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Any further suggestions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cjando
Explorer

Hi I Have a KD-55x8505B and have SKY Q ultra hd working in 8bit .

I have the the sky box connected to hdmi input no 1 with the sky hdmi  cable .Then on the set up select the 2160p then 8bit you will the see a  blue screen with the message"you are now watching in ultra hd 2160p 8bit do you want to save these changes" select confirm .You will now see a screen that say "you are now set up in ultra hd".press the home button to complete.

I thought I was going to see a picture  when I selected the resolution but you get the blue screen.I then got the error screen and I thought I had the wrong cable  or the wrong input.I then spoke with my son who has sky q and he mentioned that I had to select confirm  to set the settings and hey presto it worked.

Watched the football this afternoon in ultra hd .

The next time you switch on the SKY Q box you will see in the top left of the screen that the resolution has changed to 2160p.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

jimt99
Explorer

Cjando, I was intrigued by your solution so called Sky this morning and they talked me through it. Incredibly this simple step solved the problem. Many thanks.

So this is it: when you get to the final blue screen, where it says you are watching Ultra HD 2160p 8-Bit, you simply have to confirm the settings and then press the home button to go to your 2160p picture. In other words, you will not be able to see the 2160p picture when you have to confirm the changes, you only see a blue screen. You just have to trust that all is ok. Shame that sky didn't tell me this before.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Firstly, HDMI Ports 3 and 4 on your TV does not support HDCP 2.2 - as far as im aware.  This is why you get the UH011 error message.

https://sony-paa-pa-en-web--paa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/91921/~/is-my-4k-ultra-hd-bravi...

UH011.jpg

Can you please connect the Sky Q Silver box directly to the TV - use HDMI 2, as im sure your AV Receiver is on HDMI 1.  Then test.  If that fails, we will need to go into further troubleshooting. 

However if it works, its likely to be the HDMI cable from the AV Receiver to the TV that is not compliant.  Sony confirmed the other day that the HDMI cable need to be 4K 'premium certified'

Cheers

jimt99
Explorer

Quinnicus, Thank you for your quick response and for confirming the absence of HDCP 2.2 on HDMI inputs 3 & 4.

As I mentioned I have tried connecting the SkyQ box directly to both HDMI inputs 1 & 2 on the Sony TV using the HDMI cable supplied with the SkyQ Silver box (which is supposed to be 4K premium compliant). This gives a blank screen.

The other (IBRA) cables, connecting my Sony TV - Yamaha Receiver - SkyQ Box, are supposed to be HDMI 2.0 compliant (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AU7R11O/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item). Again these give a blank screen when connected to either HDMI inputs 1 & 2 on the Sony TV.

It may be that both the Sky and IBRA cables are at fault but I have no way to test this.

Kind regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im at a bit of a loss to be honest.  Ive dug a bit further and cannot find anything thats out of the ordinary.  As far as I can see, it should work on 8bit (10bit it wont, see pics below)  For example:

- Both HDMI cables are compliant (the IBRA is rated for 18Gbps and 2160p@50/60hz)

- According to the manual HERE:

HDMI01.jpg

HDMI2.jpg

So what I am going to do, is flag this thread to Sony Support for them to help you.  Unless another forum member can assist in the meantime, Sony should be contacting you either Monday or Tuesday next week.

Cheers

jimt99
Explorer

Thank you again for your help. There has been no further response from other forum members or from Sony directly themselves. The issue is still not resolved.

I called Sony on 12/10/16 and we went through all the same check process (confusion over which HDMI inputs were HDCP 2.2 compliant, the version of the operating system, settings, cables etc.) and after some time there was an admission that this was a known problem, experienced by other owners of this TV. I was told that the issue was being elevated to a higher help desk and would probably be resolved by yet another future update in the operating system. No date was given.

I am extremely disappointed, that after considerable expenditure on what was advertised and reviewed as a top range UHD 4K TV cannot actually display a standard SkyQ 4K signal (which also comes at additional cost).

I would advise prospective buyers of Sony TV products to take great care to actually see them being demonstrated as working before buying.

jamhilly
Explorer

Hi Jimt99. Have you been able to resolve this?  I too have a KD55X8595B and am thinking about upgrading my Sky hd box to Sky Q UHD 2TB one. I am however concerned that given your comments it won't work propely

Cjando
Explorer

Hi I Have a KD-55x8505B and have SKY Q ultra hd working in 8bit .

I have the the sky box connected to hdmi input no 1 with the sky hdmi  cable .Then on the set up select the 2160p then 8bit you will the see a  blue screen with the message"you are now watching in ultra hd 2160p 8bit do you want to save these changes" select confirm .You will now see a screen that say "you are now set up in ultra hd".press the home button to complete.

I thought I was going to see a picture  when I selected the resolution but you get the blue screen.I then got the error screen and I thought I had the wrong cable  or the wrong input.I then spoke with my son who has sky q and he mentioned that I had to select confirm  to set the settings and hey presto it worked.

Watched the football this afternoon in ultra hd .

The next time you switch on the SKY Q box you will see in the top left of the screen that the resolution has changed to 2160p.

Hope this helps.

jimt99
Explorer

My previous comments still hold. Despite calling many times to Sony, there has been little progress and no indication when the issue will be resolved. Sky Q will work OK on the 1080p setting but if you are looking for a 4K UHD upgrade then I would be very cautious. Best to test Sky Q with your TV before committing.

I am now considering getting a different TV and you can guess Sony is not on my list. That's unfortunate because I like the designs and operating systems.

jimt99
Explorer

Thanks Cjando. That is a good suggestion but I am really reluctant to try this without a fall back in case it doesn't work. The fact that you don't immediately see a UHD 2160p picture when you make this selection is not reassuring and doesn't fit with the instructions issued by the SkyQ box. I don't want to get stuck in 2160p 8-bit with a blue screen and no way to get back to 1080p. I will check with sky what they suggest. If ok then I'll try this suggestion.

jimt99
Explorer

Cjando, I was intrigued by your solution so called Sky this morning and they talked me through it. Incredibly this simple step solved the problem. Many thanks.

So this is it: when you get to the final blue screen, where it says you are watching Ultra HD 2160p 8-Bit, you simply have to confirm the settings and then press the home button to go to your 2160p picture. In other words, you will not be able to see the 2160p picture when you have to confirm the changes, you only see a blue screen. You just have to trust that all is ok. Shame that sky didn't tell me this before.