Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL-40R483B compatible Hard Disk Drive (HDD)

profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

Sony KDL-40R483B compatible Hard Disk Drive (HDD)

I have unsuccessfully attempted to use two Hard Disk Drives (HDD) with my Sony KDL-40R483B.

Please can someone specify a non-portable Hard Disk Drive, ideally 2TB but at least 1TB, which works with the Sony KDL-40R483B.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Any HDD should do, what happens when you attach your HDDs to your Sony TVs.

Do your HDDs have their own power supply.

You must attach the drives to the USB port that is marked USB HDD Record.

Perhaps the HDDs you are trying to use are not formatted correctly for your TV.

Attach the HDDs to your computer and reformat them as FAT32 on a Master Boot Record partition scheme.

When you connect a compatible hard drive to the TV you should see a pop up dialogue asking you to register your

HDD with the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

I only have one usb port but it does not have HDD record on but I understand my television has HDD record available (please see photograph).

can I reformat a HDD drive with a 2018 Apple Mac Mini?

thanks.

any other advice would be appreciated.

IMG_3530.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

As your TV has.only one USB port and according to its specifications it does do USB Recording we will go from there.

And as as you are using a Mac then that is good as I am too.

Reformatting hard drives is performed using the Disk Utility App in Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.

Or straight from Utilities via your Dock if the Utilities folder is still on your Dock.

Select Disk Utility.

Go to View in the menubar and make sure Show All Devices is selected.

In Disk Utility you should now see External is shown listing your external HDD.

Highlight the Root device (the manufactures name and ID of the Disk) not the Volume (which is indented underneath).

Click Erase, this will erase all data on the disk, so if there is anything on that disk you need to keep

then copy it to another available disk for safe keeping.

Give the Disk a name next to NAME:.

At Format select MS - DOS (FAT) .

At Scheme select Master Boot Record.

Click Erase.

When Done click Done.

Eject The Disk.

Attach to the TV.

The TV should now ask you to Register your HDD with the TV.

This should happen automatically but can also be done through Settings> Settings> Channel & Inputs> Recording Device Set Up. (this path is how my Sony TVs HDD registration is accessed, your path from Settings may be different as it is an older TV).

Once that is done you should now be able to use that HDD with the TV for recording.

Let me know how you get on.

profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

Thanks.

I have unsuccessfully attempted to use two new Hard Disk Drives with my Sony KDL-40R483B and the next attempt will also be with a new Hard Disk Drive.

Do new Hard Disk Drives still need formatting or is the cause of my compatibility a different issue?

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

As I said any HDD should do.

Do the HDDs that you have tried before with have any manufacturer software installed, this could possibly be the issue. ( It may be that the drives you have are supplied formatted as NTFS which your TV cannot read, and no use for Macs as Macs cannot write to such drives and therefore need reformatting.

As you are a Mac owner/ user any hard drives you use with your Mac should be reformatted before use and any manufacturer software should not be installed as this could potentially interfere with the Macs own housekeeping

of the drive, macOS does a much better job.

Any hard drive you want to use with your Sony TV should be first connected to your Mac, reformatted as described above. I think your drive accepts disk formatted as ms-DOS (FAT) and exFAT which you can do via Disk Utility.

Give it a go.

profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

I have followed the instructions previously listed to no avail including view all device on Disk Utility, selecting the room external drive with the Manufacturers name as well as MS-DOS FAT and Master Boot Record erasing.

Please advise is there is any further assistance you can provide?

Attached are screenshots of the error message on the Sony television, the HDD Registration screen and the Disk Utility screens for both the root and names hard drive. 

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 22.10.30.png

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 22.10.40.png

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

The drives seem to be formatted correctly, and the TV is recognising a drive is attached.

Are these drives you are attempting to use HDDs or SSDs, I am not entirely sure about this but 

I have feeling Sony recommend using HDDs rather than SSDs.

Are these drives self powered, if not the TV cannot supply enough power to an external drive through the USB connection. The HDD has to be connected directly to the TVs USB port, do not use any USB hubs.

Do you have any USB sticks knocking around you could try, minimum size 32GBs, format as FAT32 on your Mac as before. See if the TV can now register the USB stick as a recording device. I occasionally use a 128GB USB stick on my TV. This is just to see if the TV will register and record, if so it could mean a problem with the drives.

Read this article, https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00197093

and read the Related Articles underneath.

profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

Hi,

It is working after I left the Hard Disk Drives for a few minutes to fully turn on.

I will assess its performance over the next week and update this forum with my conclusions.

Thanks for your assistance.

profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

The Hard Disk Drive appears to be working now.

I will post on here if I experience any problems.

thanks.

simon