Join now - be part of our community!

SONY W8 and recording

salmoliv
Explorer

SONY W8 and recording

Hi,

When using my Freesat box, I was able to record a serie of programme by just selecting the first episode, and then choosing 'record serie'.

I can't seem to be able to do the same on my W8 TV. Is it normal? Is there any enhancement in the roadmap to get that done?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I should have probably answered this too, when answering your other questions.  Unfortunately series recording (as far as im aware) is not supported on the TVs.  The USB HDD Recording was never ment to take over the functions of a full featured PVR recorder - just an added extra (which has over time expanded, but not to series recording as of yet).

However what I will do though, is submit your request to Sony as a "Wanted Feature"

Cheers

salmoliv
Explorer

Thank you @Anonymous 

It's a shame SONY isn't going further. Especially when - as far as I know - they don't provide Freesat box.

I guess their isn't any SDK for the TV? e.g. we can't develop / hack the system to try to implement series recoring  ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the SDK's are not publically available  :slight_smile:

I have submitted this feature request anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I don't completely agree with @Anonymous on this :slight_smile:

Sony TV software is based on Linux, GNU agreement and is public though I don't have any idea on how you can change and submit it to your own TV without destroying it ...

http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/TV/KDL-32W705B.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  Thanks @rooobb   Never knew about that!! 

I would also assume though, that any modifications would be over-written at the next FW update.  You also would certainly void warrantee.

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

Though, the open source parts are only some of the code. There's a lot of closed source.

If you know enough to modify the firmware, you know enough to avoid getting your stuff overwritten unless you want to, and to restore the stock firmware when you need warranty service. :slight_smile:

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I don't know if it's due to the "closed" source part or lack of interest but I didn't find any comparable interest into sony firmware like the sammygo project for the corean TVs. I did some research for my old and unsupported RDRHXD870 and found nothing...

BTW I don't think I would "root" my kitchen samsung tv with sammygo in any case, even if some functionality are really interesting (i.e. the possibility to write the tv recording directly on a NAS unencrypted!)

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

As TVs become more and more like phones: with bad UIs, slow performance, artificially limited functionality, preinstalled junk, and even privacy breaching "features", the need for alternate firmware increases.