Join now - be part of our community!

Sony W9 - DLNA, false "Unsupported content." error message

Kosire
Explorer

Sony W9 - DLNA, false "Unsupported content." error message

Hey,

I could'nt find out where you submit bugs to Sony about their products, so I'm submitting it here.

I just got myself a new Sony W9 tv (wonderful tv btw) and I can play all my files over DLNA. However, there is one file the TV thinks it can't play, where it says "Unsupported content". However, the movie plays fine, the audio works and even subtitles work. So what's the problem?

I can't get the message to go away, it keeps being visible under the entire playback of the movie. it's clearly supported since it's playing the video, playing the audio and subtitles.

I tried getting another message to show instead (by pressing some buttons), but after that error message was gone I got the same one back again "Unsupported content".

How do I remove it?!

I've uploaded the info on the movie file I've tried that shows it's unsupported (even though it's not) and then the info of a movie that works aswell, but without the error message.

Movie_that_provides_the_error_message_but_works.mkv

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c7nZ5tpY

Movie_that_works_without_error_message.mkv

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sVr9wW8r

If you compare the two, you can see they both use V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC for video, they both use DTS for audio, they both have SRT subtitles, The only real difference there is, is that the bitrate is slighty higher on the one that provides the error message - but it works fine when playing it on the tv.

This is clearly as bug, as both videos play fine but only the first one shows the "Unsupported content." message, that you can't get rid of!

55 REPLIES 55
Sebek74

Hi again

As I expected the problem with USB player is exactly the same. Unsupported content message displays all the time.

I've checked unsupported content samples again and discovered that 1920x816 & 10 ref frames video that gives dpbMbs=61200 plays completely fine. That's almost doubles expected limit! Only if message could disappear...

Thanks for your interesting, I understand that contact to developers means no promises. We will see how Sony responses to client problems this time :slight_smile: Customers grumble all the time, it could be example that sometimes they can be happy too :wink:

Just tell me, is that good place to report any issues? I've detected some more (less relevant). I can report them if I confirm them in the newest firmware.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

Thank you for confirming that USB playback also brings back that message :smileythumbsup:.  I have forwarded that onto Sony.

The forums is a great way to report issues and get community feedback in regards to whether others are experienceing the same problem etc, and maybe discover work-arounds.  However the forum is not a way to get direct feedback from Sony (use email/phone for that).  Sony monitors the forums from time to time, but largely its up to all of us :wink:

Sometimes when you least expect it - Sony has a habit of pulling a rabbit out of the hat and makes everyone happy !

Cheers

Sebek74

Just for information: new update PKG4.430EUA didn't fix that problem. Still waiting...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

Thanks for the feedback, however I didnt expect this FW would address the issue to be honest.  Unfortunately I have not further information at this time - other than its a reported and known issue.

Cheers

Fetlox
New

I think I have a solution for this. It's a bit klutsy but it works on my KDL55W955. When the file starts playing. Hit the Options button. Navigate up the menu to Picture Options, select it, Picture, select it and then press the Return button to exit the menu system (you don't need to do anything, just access the menu).

Miraculously this appears to remove the message.  I hope this helps.

Sebek74

Fetlon, thank you for suggestion but it doesn't work with W905. However I succeeded to hide the message (but only once!) selecting file options / informations. The message was restored just after I rewinded the movie.

Dessp09
Explorer

Hey people. I have the same problem on my 42W706B

When this annoying bug will be fixed?

p.s. when you bought TV for 1000$ this kind things shuld not happen!!!

Sebek74

Another update: new update PKG4.440EUA didn't fix that problem. I have no hope anymore. I wonder how Sony team selects issues & functionalities for improvement. I wish to find one person that confirms that last updates include any useful improvements.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sebek74 

Sorry Sebek74, I have tried my best in attempting to get this resolved, and the best I can get is that Sony Japan is aware of the issue.  To be honest, I cannot see this problem being fixed anytime soon.

Cheers

Sebek74

Quinnicus, many thanks for your support. I believe you cannot do anymore, so I appreciate you help. I suppose there still a few updates ahead (at least until end of the year) so we will see what is going to happened.