Join now - be part of our community!

Sony W9 - DLNA, false "Unsupported content." error message

Kosire
Explorer

Sony W9 - DLNA, false "Unsupported content." error message

Hey,

I could'nt find out where you submit bugs to Sony about their products, so I'm submitting it here.

I just got myself a new Sony W9 tv (wonderful tv btw) and I can play all my files over DLNA. However, there is one file the TV thinks it can't play, where it says "Unsupported content". However, the movie plays fine, the audio works and even subtitles work. So what's the problem?

I can't get the message to go away, it keeps being visible under the entire playback of the movie. it's clearly supported since it's playing the video, playing the audio and subtitles.

I tried getting another message to show instead (by pressing some buttons), but after that error message was gone I got the same one back again "Unsupported content".

How do I remove it?!

I've uploaded the info on the movie file I've tried that shows it's unsupported (even though it's not) and then the info of a movie that works aswell, but without the error message.

Movie_that_provides_the_error_message_but_works.mkv

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c7nZ5tpY

Movie_that_works_without_error_message.mkv

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sVr9wW8r

If you compare the two, you can see they both use V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC for video, they both use DTS for audio, they both have SRT subtitles, The only real difference there is, is that the bitrate is slighty higher on the one that provides the error message - but it works fine when playing it on the tv.

This is clearly as bug, as both videos play fine but only the first one shows the "Unsupported content." message, that you can't get rid of!

55 REPLIES 55
Sebek74

Convert any video sample material with X264, profile High, level 5.0. For exaple use MediaCoder for that,

Just wondering Quinnicus if there is any news on this bug. You suggest a month ago that you'd sent the problem along to Sony and that a fix was expected. I have a KDL-32W650A and get the "unsupported content" message on an mkv file I'd like to watch. As is the case with others, the video plays fine except for the very annoying "unsupported content" message. I tried all of the suggest fixes but none work for me.

many thanks,

walter

Sebek74

Hi all

As you probably noticed another update has been released (version 510). Of course problem is still not resolved after almost two years since problem discovery. I have no doubts and no hope - that problem won't be resolved at all. We can appreciate Quinnicus efforts however the truth is simple. Noone cares about customers problems in Sony. This is probably one of the longest thread on that official forum but nobody in Sony even tried to investigate the issue. The policy is simple: no extra cash income = no effort, Sony is just focused on new products. You spent your money so it's your problem now customer. Sony can deny that, but that's the truth. That video problem is out of the scope of official specification so they see no problem, nobody can say they missed anything. From our perspective it looks like stupid joke. However people have bigger problems. Please read about 4k TV's users that cannot display 4k content without another accessory purchase, that's real disaster.

Greetings to all customers.

Thank you Sebek74 ? Sorry to think Sony is so callous in the area of
customer care. We are all potentially return customers, so it is in their
interest to keep everyone happy.

In the meantime, I have found a solution. I am using Plex to view the files
that the Bravia is unable to play without the unsupported content message.)?
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI guys

I know that I have not posted an update in a while.   I keep raising this issue at every chance I get (even before your latest prompts for information) - its just that I dont have any extra information to post to be hones. Unfortuately there is no 'real' fix for this error message at this moment.  Sony are fully aware of the issue as well as this thread too. The details that you guys have provided in regards to the video information has also been fed back to Sony.

The advice is still to remux the video file using a codec/profile that the TV will fully recognise.

Cheers

abc_def
Explorer

I have the same problem on my W705B with most of my files. When i see this message, i press the ? key on the remote, then go back to the video by pressing it again or by pressing RETURN.

Nonomori
New

Sony W600B, this solved my problem, thank you very much!

Dessp1
New

So true bro

abc_def
Explorer

Unfortunately the ? key doesn't solve the problem if you started the playback from the multimedia player application (where all video files are listed), but the OPTION / Picture Options / Picture and then RETURN solution suggested by Fetlox works in any cases.

rastoarpit
Explorer

I got this "unsupported content" error message on my Sony 32w700b tv while playing a *.mkv file while audio-video-subtitle were working perfectly fine.

So i jusst needed to hide this error message anyhow.

Here is my work around to get rid of this error :

While playing the movie,

Goto Options> Picture Options> Picture, Press OK

And the error is gone.