Join now - be part of our community!

Sony X9005A Owners & Netflix 4k/HEVC Codec

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Sony X9005A Owners & Netflix 4k/HEVC Codec

Hi as a current owner of the 2013 55X9005A, I am wondering what Sony is planning to do for us early adopters with regards to Netflix 4k/ HEVC H.265 Codec. I hope that we early adopters are not going to be left out in the cold !

73 REPLIES 73
PerttuV
Explorer

Hello Quinnicus,

Did you ever get a response from the elves? :slight_smile:

Just got my x9005A, and would very much like to get other 4k content than short Youtube videos. No media player or Sony Video Network option here in Finland.

br, Perttu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I havent updated this thread as I have very little additional information to offer to be honest.  All I can say is that Sony will make an announcement in due course (soon)

Sorry that I cannot provide additional information at this time.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi all, well this is wonderful news indeed, all hail Sony !

I have read these posts open mouthed with a sense of dread and a cold shiver down my spine. Just when you thought it was safe to splash out a small fortune on a 'future proofed' (not my quote) television and they've done it again. So, to the solution, ha, well lets just dig down into the coffers and find another £350 - how can Sony think that this is a 'pat on the back, well done everybody that will keep them happy' result ? You know what, I wonder just what may be missing from the ALL NEW 4K  2014 range ?

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

I note your clever use of sarcasm - I think its brilliantly done by the way :clap: 

Yes £350 is quite steep unfortuately, however in time like all things, it will lower in price.  "Future Proof" is an unachievable concept in technology.

What's missing in this years 2014 4K range (except for a Cricket or F1 button instead of Football :slight_smile: ) - well HDMI 4.0, 16K compatibility, Terabit Networking, Holographic 3D and a slot to toast my bread in the morning :grin:

On a serious note, there is no confirmed announcement for support on Google VP9 codec for Youtube as of yet - of which is what is "missing" on the FMP-X5

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Batfinkk

Unless you are hell bent on re-watching House of Cards in 4K why would you buy this box today? Sure maybe in a year or so's time when the price has dropped and there is a load more content to enjoy, but right now do you really want 4K HoC that much?

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

The television is a work of art, that's for sure, however your comment is not the point. How do think customers feel to have splashed out on a 4K television just to find out that when there will be some 4K to watch that they are inhibited by the very television anyway ?

This is a quote from the last few lines of one of the links on solution that Quinnicus posted  -

"We spied a USB port on the back of the X5 which does at least suggest you'll be able to play back local 4K content if you can download it onto another device, but of course, the only 4K movies currently available to download are Doesn't Exist, LOL Good Luck 2 and I Know What You're Not Watching Next Summer.

Sony's 2014 range of 4K TVs are unaffected by this news, as they're already fully compatible with HEVC - hands up who regrets being an early adopter."

I do not consider myself as an early adopter and should not therefore be penalised for it, I was merely ready for a new television and decided that was the way forward. I did not actually buy it until two months ago so it was not exactly fresh on the market.

The 'new' 4K television range have a serious flaw in my opinion, the wedge design has afforded the stands to be on the outer edges of the television doing away with the traditional centre stand. This means that most customers will have to invest in a whole new television stand to accomodate the extra width - did anybody think of that ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jostore28

I can fully understand your frustrations - In Sept 2011, I purchased an NX723 TV (which was when this model was released by the way), only to be informed a few months later that it was not possible to add Netflix to the list of applications.  However once I understood the reason for this, I could understand.

In regards to your situation and your TV - at the time of manufacturing there was no set ratified specifications for the HEVC/H.265 codec.  Sony can only build to what is available at the time.

In reference to a TV - decoding HEVC is not possible to do simply via software alone (which is why a firmware cannot be developed to add support to the TV).  Hence it must be done via hardware.  This certainly was not develeoped for when your TV was being designed.  This is the exact same reason why you dont have HDMI 2.0 (hardware) on the TV either.

In regards to the 2014 4K TV (KD-55X9005B) - Im under the impression that their are two positions for the "feet" of the TV - at the side ends and closer to the middle, doing away with purchasing a larger cabinet/table.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Correct, the feet can indeed be switched to the centre or it could be wall mounted. Surely a TV that hangs over the edge of the side of the bench would look really odd anyway?

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Many thanks for the replies Quinnicus / Catmambo (wow, feel like I'm being ganged up on :smileynot_talking:) and for correcting my concerns regarding the new range of 'feet', I hope.

You have to wonder what was in the planning with how to stream 4K and what Sony's take on it was considering the huge amount of data that needs to be compressed, maybe Sony should have waited until the ratified specifications were just prior to luring us in.

There is no  way round this for us poor suckers other than to buy either the new magic box, a 4K camcorder, a 4K capable Blu-ray player in the future if Sony ever develops the technology or another brand new 4K television ! :yahoo: