Join now - be part of our community!

Stream DVD movie from Laptop to Bravia kdl-32ex403u

profile.country.en_GB.title
treveden
Explorer

Stream DVD movie from Laptop to Bravia kdl-32ex403u

Hi Members,

Recently set the wireless network to the new TV via the sony dongle. Worked ok with speed reservations, ie TV had to keep waiting for information from the internet. Hard wired now with  Cat 5 , improved  communiction from the "N" router. Ordered homeplugs to avoid wires running along the floor.

The main problem concerns streaming dvd movies from my Acer Aspire 5734z laptop to the bravia. Is this possible? I have tried to contact Sony support with the question but for some unknown reason the site doesn't recognise me , even though I have registered email and password.

Is it possible to connect direct with a VGA to HDMI cable ? Ie will the tv recognise the input vga signal via the hdmi connection.Don't have HDMI on the laptop.

kind regards

3 REPLIES 3
Catmambo
Contributor

When you say streaming DVD - do you mean literally a DVD disc or do you mean a movie you have stored as a file on your computer?

I don't think you can go straight from VGA to HDMI as one is an analogue and one is digital, so you'd need to use some kind of convertor or box in the middle which would then complicate things. Bear in mind also you are converting a digital file into analogue data and then back into digital again and so the quality would take a hit.

Thanks

treveden
Explorer

Hi ED

yes , play a movie to the Bravia using the laptop as a dvd player. I can play dvd's stored on the laptop hard drive via the network. seems like a laborious task to copy the dvd movie to the hard drive first.

The vga to HDMI seems unlikely, as you say would need a decoder to make the connection. Looks like Vga to Vga on the back of the tele would offer the only option.

thanks for your help

TWE

Catmambo
Contributor

If you have ripped the files - maybe have a look at Serviio also. A very good free DLNA streamer http://www.serviio.org/features . This would allow you to keep them on your hard drive and retain the quality simply streaming them over Ethernet/wifi.

Thanks