Join now - be part of our community!

Television USB Software Update v8117 for Sony KDL-40R483B

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

Television USB Software Update v8117 for Sony KDL-40R483B

Can someone send me the v8117 software update for the Sony KDL-40R483B television as it is not available either from Sony directly or from the Sony Website.

I need to install the update by a USB stick.

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

The .pkg file is not a file type that the TV can understand and do anything with.

You will have to get back in touch with Sony and explain that the file they pointed

you to is not in the correct format to update the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

@simonruse 

Yes, I'd recommend to reach Sony, so they can provide the right file, so you can install it on the TV. 

profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

Hi, Does anyone know the correct format of the software update is for my television?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Unfortunately I can't remember how older software updates were presented from Sony.

My newer Sony TV, the updates download as a .zip fie which on the completion of downloading automatically unarchives to another .zip file which when created you transfer to the USB.

Once plugged in to the TV it begins the update process.

If you take the second .zip file and use an app like The Unarchiver (free download) you can see the contents of the .zip file, the largest of these is a file called payload.bin, this is the one with the update files inside.

Here is one more thing you could try, this is a very long shot but give it a go.

From the .zip file you downloaded and opened to the folder containing the .pkg file.

Click on the folder (the .pkg file must be inside), now click on File in the menubar at the top of your screen

scroll down a little and you should see Compress <folder name>, click on that and this will create a new .zip file

on your Desktop. Transfer this to your USB and then to the TV, see if the TV does anything now.

Chances are it won't but it won't do any harm.

profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

I have attempted to compress the folder containing the .pkg file and installing it through that method but unfortunately it did not work.

I have contacted Sony concerning the file format.

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
simonruse

Sony has responded with the following message: “With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KDL-40R483B, kindly note that no format will work on the TV as it does not have the ability to update the software any more, we have sent you the only software version that would have worked if the TV was able to update the software”.

It would have been useful to update the software, but not essential.

Thanks for your advice concerning my query.