Join now - be part of our community!

Timeshift looses its content on KDL-42W815B

profile.country.GB.title
Manu_T

Timeshift looses its content on KDL-42W815B

Hi,

I have the following problem.

Whenever I pause TV programs, after awhile (about 20mins.) this happens:

I press play, the program properly resumes. When I later on press FFWD to e.g. skip comercials and notice I went too far and rewind a bit... if I then press play again to continue the program all the recorded footage is gone without a warning.

When I pauze for a longer time (let's say an hour orso), then continue the program, press FFWD to skip comercials and then press play again to resume the program the timeshifted content is also gone.

This doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes Timeshift works fine, rewinding and FFWD and then pressing play works as it should. But occasionally (more often than not) I loose the timeshifted content and the program resumes at normal time.

Normal recording via EPG or timed events work fine.

I've experienced this behavior with both SSD and HDD (see my other message regarding tested SSD's).

Has anyone else encountered this behaviour?

Has anyone any further tips on how to improve timeshift or get it working properly again?

With regards to non-working SSD's (Mushking Reactor 480GB) I experienced the following. When I plug in a new drive it is not recognised by the TV. When I remove it's partitions (standard this drive comes NTFS-formated with 1 primary partition) and plug back into the TV, it DOES recognises this SSD and starts to "register" it. But after using it for a few minutes the drive LED goes out and the TV reports that there is no HDD attached. Unplugging and plugging back in doesn't help at all. I completely have to wipe the partition before the TV sees the drive again.

I assume that the Silicon Motion controller of this Reactor 480GB isn't compatible with this TV-set (and its brothers and sisters).

This might be usefull for some.

TIA

Manu T

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @Manu_T,

Is this something that has just started recently, or has it been happening for a longer period of time?
If it's just started recently, has something changed (like a firmware update)? 

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
Manu_T

I never gave it much attention in the past. So I think it didn't happen at all or not as much as it does now.

It happens ALL the time now. Whenever I use TV-Pause now I'm affraid to press FFWD to skip anything because it eventually looses the timeshifted content. Sometimes the TV even looses the TImeshift right when I press Play to resume (at the very first pause). It rarely works properly nowadays. I used to think that it was because my previous HDD reacted quite slow on button presses and couldn't catch up. So I started experimenting with SSD's and noticed that now whenever I press TV-pause the image pausees instantly without any delay (just like a regular setop-box). But unfortunately the timeshift-problem remain as I experimented with several HDD's, SSD's and several enclosurs.

This is a problem to me because I use TV-pause a lot more than recording through the EPG.

So I reckon someting is indeed broken in recent firmwares but unfortunately I can't pinpoint excactly when this started to become noticable.

Perhaps others with similar TV's can try this out to see if this happens with their sets as well?

I must admit having instant TV-pause without delay is much more comfortable then before with a mechanical hard drive. I understand this is a, perhaps even minor, luxury problem but it's a problem nonetheless.

TIA

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Thanks for the details @Manu_T.  I have escalated this to our Support team, so someone should be in touch soon to assist you with this issue.

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
Manu_T

To complete my TV-details.

It is a KDL-42W815B with software: PKG3.004EUA

European (mainland) model.

I currently use a Kingston USB2.0 enclosure and 120GB A-Data S511 Solid State Drive (Sandforce SF-2281 controller). The TV has no other USB-devices plugged in. Its audio is routed to an (old) AV-receiver (Sony STR-DG520) via optical out. There's a Windows PC and Samsung Blu-Ray player connected to other HDMI-ports.

I obviously use a CI+ module from "Telenet". TV-signal quality is at max (the top bar tops out at 100 and the bottom is about 95) so signal quality is good.

If you need any other details please ask.

TIA