Join now - be part of our community!

Trying to remove an unwanted icon from my TV screen

profile.country.en_GB.title
leith554
Visitor

Trying to remove an unwanted icon from my TV screen

Please can anyone help me get rid of an icon that has appeared on my tv screen?  It is in the top left hand corner of the screen; it is a black oval with what looks like the outline of a speaker within that, and a red cross over over the speaker outline.  The TV is working fine; I just want to get rid of this nuisance symbol!   Thanks very much.

Message was edited by: leith554

11 REPLIES 11
MrBogle
Visitor

Hi

Press i+ (information button on remote ) normally located on the top right of remote or above the "options" button a couple of times,

this should scroll between input-clock and then nothing.

Pcadjb
Visitor

Hello,

This symbol sounds to me like a "Mute" symbol.

This is usually found on the remote control as a speaker with a cross through it.

Turning the volume up or or pressing the "Mute" button again should solve this problem.

Sorry not sure which model you have or if you have other equipment attached (DVD player, etc).

Hope it helps.

P

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

The above ideas are helpful but by any chance do you have Sky or Virgin?

Sometimes, if the i+ or OSD button for your TV remote do not work then the symbol is from your Virgin/Sky which cannot be removed via the TV remote.

Hope that gives you some additional insight.

Addojo36
Visitor

Hello,

Just checked AVForums

Possible solution (On your Virgin box)

Press Home, then button 8 (Settings), then 4 (Change Display & Audio Settings) scroll down to HDMI audio override, change whatever you have showing (if "off" is displayed, change to "on" or vice versa) you will get confirmation message, select "no" then go back to TV.

See full thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/970370-v-mute-icon-screen.html

leith554
Visitor

Hello Mr Bogle.  Thanks for responding.  I tried that with no success.  That i+ button certainly did toggle between showing information icons in the top left and bottom right corners of the screen, and then clearing the screen.  But my nuisance icon, which appears intermitently, did not appear  or go away.

Thats one of the reasons its such a nuisance;sometimes when I turn the TV on the icon doesn't appear and sometimes it does.  If I ever find out what causes it and/or what it means I'll let you know.

Steve

Message was edited by: -frank-

leith554
Visitor

Hello P.

Thanks for responding.  I've tried your suggestion with no success. The TV I have is a KDL32S3000 and it does have a DVD player attached.  I have played around with the controls on the DVD, in an attempt to remove this symbol, with no success.  The annoying thing about this damn thing is that it appears intermittently; its sometimes there when I turn the TV on and sometimes not.  If I ever find out what's causing it I'll endeavour to let you know.  Thanks again,

Steve

leith554
Visitor

Watashiwateshdes wrote:

The above ideas are helpful but by any chance do you have Sky or Virgin?

Sometimes, if the i+ or OSD button for your TV remote do not work then the symbol is from your Virgin/Sky which cannot be removed via the TV remote.

Hope that gives you some additional insight.

Hello Mr W

I do have Virgin, so you may well have cracked it for me.  I'll contact them and if I find they are the (no doubt inadverdant) cause of this nuisance, I'll let you know.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

Dj1642
New

image.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

That symbol mean - Do not unplug TV, TV is updating.

Cheers