Join now - be part of our community!

Turn off 'TV Volume is fixed' screen message.

Mr_Sony_User
Explorer

Turn off 'TV Volume is fixed' screen message.

Hi All.

I'm new here so please bear with me if I've posted this in the wrong location or it has already been answered, I did search for some time and have tried Sony Customer Support.

I recently purchased a Sony KDL-32W705B Bravia and couldn't get the sound to an acceptable level that I could live with, so rather than return the TV as Sony suggested, I bought a Denon DHT-T100 Sound base to compensate. I've connected it using the optical cable as suggested, and 'taught' the Denon to respond to the Sony remote control handset volume buttons. For the Denon to receive the correct sound from the TV, you have to select 'Audio System' and 'Fixed Volume' on the Bravia, but this then leads to the screen warning message 'TV Volume is fixed' every time you use the Sony volume control.

Is there any way to turn this message off? I would like to continue to use just the Sony remote as my wife struggles using 2 remotes just to work the TV's sound, and the warning message is a real pain in the bottom. We sometimes watch films with subtitles in and still need to alter the volume, and in doing so the error message appears on the screen and stays there for some time.

I hope this makes sense to you, and if you need any more info please ask.

Appreciate the help if anyones able to fix this for me.

Regards

18 REPLIES 18
Mr_Sony_User
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for your replies, you are very helpful and certainly know your stuff!

Ok I now understand the issue with the Sat tuner, its not Freesat and uses its own guide and channel sorting. I do think Sony are missing a trick here though, as the other Japanese TV manufacturer are not only shipping their TV's with Freesat, they also now include Freetime, a 7 day catch up - on demand service. I'm looking at upgrading my 40" Bravia in my living room before Christmas but the thought of sitting there for another afternoon putting satellite channels in order kinda puts me off Sony. Also, Sony don't manufacture a 4k TV below 49", whats that all about? Not all of us want a larger size TV. Again, the other manufacturer has 40" plus.

I don't know whats going on with Sony these days, have all the good people left or something else going on we don't know about?

Another example, I tried to call the customer pre purchase advise number today but the voicemail stated they were closed....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome by the way. :slight_smile:

Unofficially I have asked if Sony would consider a dual Freeview/Freesat EPG, answer is "not sure" But I may ask again, because I think there is a call for it.

4K TV - you may notice many manufacturers do no not do smaller sizes - to be honest this is correct. There is no noticable benefit over 1080p on a smaller tv. You only see the differences on larger tvs and sitting closer to one as well.  Hard to explain, but on larger tellies, you "blow up" the picture, which also means you enlarge the imperfections of the video.  Hence 4k is beter on large tvs for less imperfections.

Depending on your requirements and budget, or want to take advantage of the xmas sales - my opinion is wait until the new Sony range comes out in approx feb-april next year.  

Anyway hard to type this on a tablet - not at my laptop at the moment

cheers

Mr_Sony_User
Explorer

Update.

I was called yesterday by a Sony Customer Services representitive - he asked a few more questions about my set up and if I had tried the Denon on another TV (which I had) and if the problems still existed (which they didnt).

He then offered to send an engineer out to try and remove the latest firmware and put an older version on to see if this would 'fix' the on screen message every time I use the TV's remote. I refused this as I very much doubt it would actually work, and I'd also be left with a TV that I could no longer update if it did as the issue would return. All Sony need to do is add the ability to disable this warning in the TV settings, the chap on the phone is also aware that many other people have asked the same question...

All in all I'll just live with it for now and look at another make of TV after Christmas (begins with  P...) and sell this on to someone I don't like at work. The lack of a proper EPG for the satellite channel sorting, poor sound and the inability to stop on screen warning messages, no teletext and the lack of ITV Player & 4OD have left a long time Sony customer quite dissapointed to say the least.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the update.  Its a shame that you cant get on with the TV - but ultimately you are the customer and your the one that needs to be happy with the product.

Good luck on whatever brand you decide :wink:

Cheers

hi, not sure if this is too late for you (or will work for you) but i have a sony 42 3d tv and have bought a sonos sound bar. after turning the speakers setting to audio sysem i got the same message when the volume was pressed.

i have managed to change this to displaying the volume level on the tv without the tv speakers on and soundbar woking fine.

the settings i changed were as follows

speakers                        -         audio system

headphone/audio out     -         audio out

audio out                        -         variable

hopefully

(a) i havent forgot something

(b) this helps you or someone else

jefinch78
Explorer

Same for me; I have a 2014 Sony led TV and when I connected it to recently bought Denon sound stage I got the ' TV Volume is fixed' message and consequently couldn't use the TV remote to adjust sound.

I've fixed it for me however, I connected the optical cable to my stand alone box, in my case YouView, instead of the TV and analogue cable from the Denon to my TV. 

Success!

joquinn27
Explorer

I think you will find that Sony make a 4K TV smaller than 49". They make one at 43" . The KD43X83 series. The frame size of this TV is identical to my older 40" Sony TV meaning you get a larger screen but overall width of TV does not increase.

Hi I hope you can help?

Thought I was quite tekky but can't get my Tv remote to control the volume on my Marantz melody hi fi That's connected via optical out. My years old sky remote does it no problem but I want to use the Sony remote for everything... any ideas??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AlexanderScarlett

Your problem is totally different to this thread, but have noticed that you have created a thread in regards to your issue of which @royabrown has responded to you:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/change-volume-on-amp-connected-to-tv-via-optical-out/m-p/...

Cheers