Join now - be part of our community!

TV to Android Mobile device

perla83
New

TV to Android Mobile device

Hi,
Is there a way to watch whatever is playing on TV (actual tv channels or dvd playing) on an android device? In other words, I want to watch tv but on my tablet from another room, is that possible?
I have a sony bravia EX500 and a samsung tablet 10.1 operating android 4.2.1.
If it's not possible on these devices, can it be done with extra tools? and is it possible in general?
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately the technology does not work the other way (ie from TV to android device).  You could use the range of catchup services that are available or the website http://tvcatchup.com/

There are a range of Wireless HDMI AV Sender/Receivers on the market, but your Android device would need to have a cable connected to a HDMI IN port.  Android devices only have a HDMI OUT port, so that wouldnt work either.

So basically, it cannot be done, and I know no product on the market that would do what you want.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

I saw that TV Catchup will have to kill many of its live streams - I was amazed it was allowed to get away with it for so long as its effectively rebroadcasting. Don't get me wrong it was a great service and highlights a demand for something similar, but only theoretical way this could happen I guess is if Youview went down an app route.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I heard that too.  But that was over 12 months ago, and since then the site seems to have been developed even further.  As its a well known site, it would have been shut down long ago, if deemed illegal - but yes, I dont know how they are doing it legally either. 

Just saw the legal bit on the site:

Legal Notice
14/10/2013

In the High Court case of ITV & Others v TVCatchup Limited, during the process of which TVCatchup was deemed to be a qualifying cable service for the carriage of certain channels, your attention is drawn to the following Order.

Well there ya go, game over for them, and some big costs incurred too.