Join now - be part of our community!

Updating your BRAVIA firmware assistance.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Updating your BRAVIA firmware assistance.

Many of the current crop of TV's can have the firmware updated directly from the device within the settings option and may even prompt you when there is a new one available. However if its not updating, you want to do it manually or have an older TV, below are some resources and pointers which should be helpful and will ensure you update the product correctly.

Its worth noting that updating the firmware *if* done incorrectly can cause issues with the TV, so whilst updating is a worthwhile exercise as updates improve performance and fix bugs, please follow the instructions listed on your products support page carefully when carrying out the process.

1. Find your product here - http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en
  2. Checkout the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=x62nkI6lzvo#t=136s Note that this video refers to an update from earlier in the year and so whilst exact file sizes may be different (check against the currently available firmware from your products page), the actual process for updating devices is the same.

Do post below if you have any further questions and someone will be able to assist.

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
hipponax
Visitor

Maybe its something really simple - maybe its not something i need to update but my 32-ex503 is currently PKG4.089EUL-0108, but the current update is PKG4.114EUL-0108,

it wont look for it on the auto update, and when i put the usb stick with the file in the television it comes up with "no applicable updates" - the usb is formatted ok, the files exist on it and are visible when you look for the file

simple question - do i need the updates and should the update be about 37mb?

Many thanks

gofrost

Format the usb stick to make sure there is absolutely nothing on there and then download and then open file and send to usb stick

Clem_Dye
Explorer

What system did you use to prepare the USB stick? The filesystem needs to be FAT32, the update needs to be placed on the drive as per instructions and it should work. However, if you prepared the USB stick on a Mac then you need to strip-off any extended attributes from the update using the xattr command. When these attributes are present the update will fail the file checksum routine used by the TV and will be ignored.

Clem

anicols
Visitor

This took me ages to find. Thanks for this tip - I was getting very frustrated with teh 'No applicable update data was found' on my TV. I thought it may have been something to do with my Mac and the way it works with files.

clauss84
New

hello.i updated my tv sony bravia model kdl-32ex302 and now my sound works about 10mins then stops then i restart tv and it works again same.what can be the problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im assuming that your firmware version is M8.728?

Lets start with the simplest potential solution first:

Try unplugging the TV from the powerpoint on the wall for 60 seconds or more, then replug it back in and test it out.

I would have advised a factory reset of the TV, but this model is a little more difficult to do.

Try that first anyhow.

Cheers

flip1355
New

will a sony television fail to function  (i.e. switch off) if it does not recieve a firmware upgrade?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The TV will continue to function as per normal if a FW update has not been done.  The firmware updates normally address particular issues/problems or additional functionality is added.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
dubaijim
Explorer

Am trying to update the KD55X9005C with the latest firmware, but it seems to be in an update loop - I have formatted the USB stick in FAT32, extracted the latest firmware file (5.381) on to it, and put it into the TV.  The TV is detecting as a new Firmware, copying, installing, rebooting - it has been in this cycle now for over 2 hours

Should I pull the USB stick and check if it has updated any firmware (it was on a branch of firmware 3.9 before the update), or should I let it run through for several hours?