Join now - be part of our community!

Which media server to work, wired, to KDL-50W829B?

SOLVED
sanassy12345
Explorer

Which media server to work, wired, to KDL-50W829B?

Hi,

Instead of using DLNA over a wireless connection, I'd like to know which type of media player will work actually wired, via HDMI, to a Sony KDL-50W829B TV?

Been looking at certain NAS drives like Synology, or the WD Media player, even a Mac Mini but all we want is something that sits next to the TV, full of videos of all file formats etc that can then be played straight to the TV.

Many thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a couple of different types of Media Players

1. A simple Media player that connects to the TV via HDMI cable, but can only 'stream' to the media player via DLNA or some other device on your network.
  2. The other type, is a media player that connects to your TV via HDMI, but also includes the option to add an internal and/or external hard drives as well as streaming via DLNA. 

The wireless that you are referring to, is simply the network connectivity to connect to the media player.  Personally I would not recommend wireless.  I would connect one via a LAN cable.

For example, My MED1000X3D, is connected to my TV via HDMI.  I have a 4TB internal hard drive, as well as 2x4TB and 1x2TB external hard drives connected to it.  I connect to my MED1000X3D via my Laptop over my network to copy media files to the hard drives, but play them directly onto the TV via the MED1000X3d (Sony KDL-42W807a).

2 other brands to look at are Popcorn Hour A-400 and Dune HD Base 3D

Cheers

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im going to be a little biased here, I have a media player from a company called Mede8er.  Model= MED1000X3D.  It plays everything I throw at it.  Have a look : HERE.

For a list of Media Players on the market, see HERE.

My advice, do your homework on this, read the reviews and ensure you get the right product to suit your needs.

Cheers

sanassy12345
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus.

You're defintely right about the research, but its strange how most searches on the subject talk about a wireless connection, and I'm looking for something wired and therefore (hopefully) much simpler.

The Mede8er looks great and reasonable too - I guess I'm hoping people here know what works well with the Sony models in particular.

Cheers,

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a couple of different types of Media Players

1. A simple Media player that connects to the TV via HDMI cable, but can only 'stream' to the media player via DLNA or some other device on your network.
  2. The other type, is a media player that connects to your TV via HDMI, but also includes the option to add an internal and/or external hard drives as well as streaming via DLNA. 

The wireless that you are referring to, is simply the network connectivity to connect to the media player.  Personally I would not recommend wireless.  I would connect one via a LAN cable.

For example, My MED1000X3D, is connected to my TV via HDMI.  I have a 4TB internal hard drive, as well as 2x4TB and 1x2TB external hard drives connected to it.  I connect to my MED1000X3D via my Laptop over my network to copy media files to the hard drives, but play them directly onto the TV via the MED1000X3d (Sony KDL-42W807a).

2 other brands to look at are Popcorn Hour A-400 and Dune HD Base 3D

Cheers

mike2015
Explorer

I have just got the same TV. Was looking forward to playing back all the recordings I have on my ReadyNAS Duo.

It just about works but the Sony interface is seriously flawed. Unlike other DLNA players, the Sony TV insists on trying to retrieve ALL of the videos/music/pictures at once. Thats crazy when you have a large collection like I do. There is no option to browse through the folder structure like most other DLNA players.

So I would advise you to forget it, unless you plan to only have a few recordings (less than a screenfull). Best bet is to buy yourself a Humax PVR and use its DLNA facilities. Or try a dedicated DLNA player like the WD TV Media Player. Even the cheepo Android boxes are better than Sony.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

By pressing the options button on the remote there should be a "Folder view" possibility to display the folder structure a choose which media type to display (music/photo/video). It's there for local HDD, should be present also via DLNA.

Be aware also that the way data are shown via DLNA depend on the server possibility/configuration: using serviio you may choose to show your video by list, genre, year, folder structure, etc. Don't know about your NAS though

profile.country.GB.title
JADASTIC
Explorer

I use a NAS drive (Seagate Central). I have 4 Sony internet TV's and have them all capable of connecting to the drive, Three TV's are connected via wireless and the fourth via ethernet. My Broadband is BT Infinity so quite fast and capable of streaming HD with no problem. Inside my home network wireless transfers at greater than 54Mbps. The advantage of the NAS drive is that all TV's can see the drive whether I'm in the kitchen the study or living room. Also I can manage my video's through my PC laptop. I make sure any videos are MP4 format, If they arn't I use "handbrake" on my laptop to convert. Sony TV's are a little selective on video formats. I watch movies from Netflix or my NAS drive with the same quality and anywhere in the house. Hope this helps.

mike2015
Explorer

Thanks roobb. I hadn't spotted that option. TV streams from NAS much better now I can browse by folders, means I can navigate around much quicker.

For others - I found that Ethernet was much better than Wireless connection, as in more reliable, though my PC streams over wireless no problem. I use a TP-Link plug to get the Ethernet to the TV. Works fine.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You're welcome! I use a pair of Tplink powerline too and it run even my camcorder 1080p 50fps video smoothly