Join now - be part of our community!

Why does my tv have a 10amp fuse in the mains plug?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
carick
Visitor

Why does my tv have a 10amp fuse in the mains plug?

Hi, does anyone know why my KDL-40NX713 Bravia tv has a 10amp fuse in the mains plug?  For the current that the tv draws a 1amp would be sufficient, but realistically a 3amp or 5amp would seem to be reasonable.

Thanks everyone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Clem_Dye
Explorer

Probably due to the initial power-on/power-up surge. I had a Rotel power-amp that was fused in the same way for that reason.

You could always try a lower-rated fuse -- start with a 7a, then 5a and so forth. However, if the 10a fuse is needed then popping a lower-rated fuse may end-up causing undesirable results. I'd be inclined to leave things as-is.

Clem

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Bravia55HX

Hi,

the fuse rating is correct as i have the same in my HX853 so i wouldent worry about it.

Clem_Dye
Explorer

Probably due to the initial power-on/power-up surge. I had a Rotel power-amp that was fused in the same way for that reason.

You could always try a lower-rated fuse -- start with a 7a, then 5a and so forth. However, if the 10a fuse is needed then popping a lower-rated fuse may end-up causing undesirable results. I'd be inclined to leave things as-is.

Clem

I have recently PAT Tested two Sony Bravia 32" TVs Which draw less than 50W. They both had 10A fuses which seemed excessive.   After several enquiries I replaced them with 3A fuses and they continue to work satisfactorily.

While the comment that a 10A my be fitted to allow for current surge during  start up is valid, a power surge while the set is in use would be more damaging.   In my oppinion it is safer to have a fuse blow in the unlikely event of surge at power up.  (Sony have a particular penchant for putting higher fuse ratings in their applinces than UK recommendations).

Perhaps Sony would like to post a response to this question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In most cases, Sony does not reply to the questions on these forums, as these forums are a 'community' effort.  If you want a reponse from Sony, you will need to contact them directly.  See link below.

https://shop.sony.eu/shop/mimes/openAccess/legal/contact-us/contact_en_GB.html

Cheers

More information on this subject.

Sony have comfirmed that a Bravia TV rated at 92W can draw 182w at certain times.   They still have not revealed why this necessitates a 10a fuse.

I re-iterate my earlier statement:  I have 2 TVs working satisfactorily on 3A fuses and according to UK ratings this is sufficient. (UK rated appliances upto 700w should have a 3a fuse.).

A 10a fuse can sustain a current of 1000w for a time and in my oppinion a surge of this calibre could result in severe damage to the set.

jasee1
New

It will have at least one internal fuse which is much lower. However the cable to the back of the set should be capable of passing ten amps without overheating. It's unlikely that this is the case

profile.country.GB.title
Bobby-James
New

Hi, Jazeel.

I posted this in 2015. But your answer is valued.

However, if there is a lower fuse inside, surely it is better to have the lower fuse rating in the plug

rather than having to open the set to get to a fuse.

If the cable gets hot then surely, again, it makes sense tohave the fuse in the plug.

I now have many tested sets with 3amp fuses working satisfactorily.