Join now - be part of our community!

Why is iPlayer buffering on my Bravia TV but not on a laptop

profile.country.en_GB.title
snowdude
Visitor

Why is iPlayer buffering on my Bravia TV but not on a laptop

I find that iPlayer is almost unusable from between 6pm-10pm when using our Bravia TV ( due to constant buffering interruptions), other services like YouTube and LoveFilm seem fine on the TV. Also, iPlayer on a laptop (same connection) works just fine.

I thought that the TV would connect to iPlayer in just the same way as the laptop, is that not right? Any clues on how I can sort this out, it's very irritating.

We're using BT Infinity 2 (76MB down/20MB up), it's a wired 100MB ethernet connection to TV. A speed test using (speedtest.net) at the same time as problems occur is showing 46down/9up.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

From experince, this is usually an ISP issue as iPlayer on the TV/Blu-ray/Console is a different version to the PC version, so data is handled differently by the ISP. You can see already that the TV is working ok as there are no issues with the other services in terms of buffering problems

By the sounds of it, you have no problems with your network or speed, so I'd give your ISP a ring and see what they can do at their end.

Hope this helps

snowdude
Visitor

Thanks for the answer. So can I just confirm, there's no 'Sony web service' getting in the way here. The traffic is purely between our TV and BBC services?

Catmambo
Contributor

Correct - We operate a service index which just looks at the geo-ip of the device - when it scans for services its effecitively saying 'ah snowdude is in the UK, he gets this list of applications', thus populating your TV with the appropriate links in effect. Then once you click on a partner link, you are in their 'environment'. The TV is just the gateway as opposed to host etc.

Hope this makes sense.

Bernie-the-Bolt

As with all BT Home Hub issues, browse my link below. There may be something to assist you, additional to what you already know;

https://www.sony.ie/discussions/thread/141156

Good luck!