Join now - be part of our community!

X9000A Series

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
edluvuk
Explorer

X9000A Series

Hello.

It is possible to update the firmware of the new TVs Sony BRAVIA (X9000A Series) in the future so that it could work with video encoding H.265 (HEVC)? Is hardware capable to run this new codec?

Regards.

sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Id be reasonably confident to say that H.265 (or HEVC) will probably not come to pre-2014 TVs.  This is because the H.265 codec requires a lot more processing power than the other codecs available, and the TV probably doesnt have the processing power to decode it. 

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable
profile.country.GB.title
Lalami1990
Explorer

Got a petition started here addressed to Sony:

I've sent out a few emails. One to customer services, another to the head office, another to the corporate headquarters in Japan for customer feedback. I doubt that I'm the only person doing this but hopefully this would get the ball rolling for us European owners. Hopefully you could all sign the petition and perhaps help spread the link around to other forums.

[EDIT] - Link to petition removed - against forum rules.

Anonymous
Not applicable
profile.country.GB.title
pidcock
Explorer

£350 just to watch Netflix, I don't think so! So the U.S.A. get a hard drive and the ability to download 4K movies and we get this. We need a physical 4K Bluray player Sony.

Steveburlison
Explorer

I to have sent messages to sony customer services about how I think is disgraceful that I spend 5000 on a tv and find it's not able to play netflix 4 k I think the media players should be sent free of charge I was assured by the sony rep this tv was future proof
Steveburlison
Explorer

It would be good if everyone complained but do you really think they will do anything about it I would. Like to think so
orakevin
Explorer

Lies, Lies, and More Lies!

The Sony Sales Rep stood there showing me a "Demo" of House of Cards in 4K from Netflix, and told me "Oh sure, no problem.  This TV will stream 4K content from Netflix."  Lies, pure & simple.  My 55X9005A does not even need the hardware "fix" that requires a Sony repairman to come out, but still no dice from Netflix.

I was told it had a 5 year warranty.  Yeah, right. Registered on line and was told I have a 1 year warranty but if I want to spend more money I can buy up to three years. Lies!

Last Sony I will ever buy, after having purchased 3 Sony TVs over the last 10 years or so. (And a Sony Vaio Laptop, and a Blue Ray player, and a DVD player, and an integrated amplifier.)

Screw me once, shame on you; Screw me twice...  Never again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning @orakevin

I have had to edit your post slighly due to a slight profanity in the context of what you wrote.  Unfortunately to access 4K Netflix on your TV, you will need an additional hardware (FMP-X5).  If you were mis-sold your TV, you will need to take it up with the particular store where you purchased your TV from.

In regards to your warranty, I have passed this onto Sony for them to have a look at and give you a call.  Please ensure that you have the correct contact details in your profile.

Cheers