Join now - be part of our community!

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

Hi everyone, just wondering what Sony will be doing for it's UK Customers who own earlier versions of the X9005A, including myself with the HDMI 4 port seperate on the back, rather than together in later versions. From what I've read on the web, the later versions of this TV with the HDMI 4 port upgraded support HDCP 2.2, whereas the earlier versions of this TV don't. This upgrade will become necessary once the FMP - X5 Media Player is launched.

US Customers who own earlier versions of this TV are being looked after by Sony as they are being offered a free in house upgrade.

However with regards to UK Customers, Sony UK have said nothing. Some poeple have tried to find out what Sony UK will be doing with regards to this, but apparently have been ignored. This is not good enough imho.

Please could Sony UK let us customers know what they are going to do with regards to this asap.

Thanks  

80 REPLIES 80
darrenng
Explorer

Hi guys, I have had a response from Sony with regards to me complaining that I should receive the upgrade without purchasing the FMP-X5 box.

" In regards to your complaint please be advised that unfortunatly no good will could be offered".

After this response I found on the site a search facility which when I supplied my model details told me my screen would support the FMP-X5 box, so does that mean my screen has a HDCP 2.2 port?

J-star

If the Sony support site says your model doesn't need the upgrade that should mean your port is HDCP 2.2 compliant (make sure your TV firmware is up to date).  Another way of checking this I believe is if your HDMI4 port (which is the only one that will be HDCP 2.2) is grouped together with the HDMI1 and 2 ports at the back of your tv it should be fine, whereas if the HDMI4 port is located separately on the side of the TV it would need a hardware upgrade.

Mine was software-upgradeable like it sounds yours is.  I've tried the Amazon Fire TV box and can confirm 4K looks great.  Of course the video quality if you are streaming will depend on your connection speed, I think you need at least 20mbps for a good 4K picture if streaming.

I've decided the content avaliable on the Amazon box isn't worth keeping it for so I am returning it and might go for Sky Q instead.  Any sky Q silver subscribers yet?

Last_Straw
Explorer

Hi J-star

The content on Sky Q Silver (4K is only on Silver) is good at the moment and bodes well for the future. At the moment there are about 20 feature films available, the latest one being The Martian with Mat Damon. Also around the same number of box sets are in 4K but if you want to subscribe to Sky Sports and like football then sit back and enjoy the Premier League in 4K! From the 2017 season F1 will also be in 4K.

When you consider that box sets have anything up to a dozen episodes per season, there's plenty of 4K available to watch.

J-star

Hey thanks.  How about the feature where the box 'nudges' you when a programme your viewing is available in 4K? I understand you can also set it to use 4K automatically when this is the case.  Are there any 'live' broadcast shows available yet in 4K?  Have you experienced this?

Do you know of anywhere I can see a full list of what is currently available in 4K? Is it noted on the sky TV guide anywhere? I'm pretty selective in my viewing and wouldn't watch something just because it is available, so I'm curious to know what there is...

Last_Straw
Explorer

As far as I'm aware, live programmes are not yet being transmitted in UHD apart from the football and F1 when that appears. Early days yet though - give it time. Sky will probably drip feed additions on a weekly basis.

I found this on the Sky site which gives an overview of UHD prgrammes but not full listings:

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/uhd/

In the onscreen guide there is a separate entry for UHD content in Sky Cinema, Sports or Box sets.

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi just to confirm what had already been said. If your X9005A has the HDMI port 4 separate on the bottom right of the TV you need a hardware upgrade. That essentially means replacing the HDMI port 4 with an upgraded HDMI port 4 which is HDCP 2.2 compliant. If your HDMI port 4 is located along with the other HDMI ports then it is already HDCP 2.2 compliant and is compatible with UHD content. Also double check on the Sony website,  link on previous pages in thread to make sure that your tv has the upgrade or it does not. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

However what I don't agree with is Sony UK's policy now of forcing people to buy the FMP-X5 Media Player which is out of date and highly inflated with regards to cost before they will now do the upgrade. This is totally and utterly wrong. Us early adopters paid a huge premium for this tv and Sony should be looking after all their customers. As previously mentioned initially Sony was doing the upgrade for free and I had it done without having to purchase the media player along with many other customers. Also those very same customers including myself were given the option to exchange our TV's for the X9005B. Some customers chose that option however I did not and had the hardware upgrade done at home. Therefore I would like to ask the management at Sony UK with regards to what has changed now? 

Last_Straw
Explorer

Well put sound10 - you said it in a nutshell.

I wasn't given the option to change my set to the x9005b. Like you, I would probably have opted to keep the x9005a because, let's face it, it is a fine television - apart from not doing 'what it say's on the tin'.

What has changed? Probably there are no x9005b, or even x9005c televisions left whilst, on the other hand, they have a warehouse full of unsold FMP-X5 media players.

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi everyone just raised my concerns myself right now by contacting Sony UK on their 0207 no on their website and speaking to a lady called Bassant. If anyone needs a hardware upgrade on their X9005A to be able to watch UHD content and has been told that they need to purchase the media player before Sony UK will do it then give Sony UK a call and ask to speak to Bassant as it seems now finally Sony UK might be listening to their loyal and variable customers. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Davidsonyproblem
Explorer

Having read all the messages and followed up on the Sony progress with problems concerning the KD55X9005A I now have been told that the replacement CX Mount (part A1952947A) to replace the HDMI Port 4 will cost me £222:00 parts, labour and callout fee. This will enable me to watch any Sky Q transmission in Ultra high Definition. I have been unable to resolve the Netflix server connection problems so rather than watch Netflix on a 55 inch screen I watch it on my laptop! As the TV cost £3200:00 the lack of good will from Sony to help with the costs and the lack of information they are willing to share about their products is beyond belief.