Join now - be part of our community!

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

Hi everyone, just wondering what Sony will be doing for it's UK Customers who own earlier versions of the X9005A, including myself with the HDMI 4 port seperate on the back, rather than together in later versions. From what I've read on the web, the later versions of this TV with the HDMI 4 port upgraded support HDCP 2.2, whereas the earlier versions of this TV don't. This upgrade will become necessary once the FMP - X5 Media Player is launched.

US Customers who own earlier versions of this TV are being looked after by Sony as they are being offered a free in house upgrade.

However with regards to UK Customers, Sony UK have said nothing. Some poeple have tried to find out what Sony UK will be doing with regards to this, but apparently have been ignored. This is not good enough imho.

Please could Sony UK let us customers know what they are going to do with regards to this asap.

Thanks  

80 REPLIES 80
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Thanks - I only have the user manual : http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13FS900111/EN/c_t_europe_fs_bottom.html to go by which is the same as my configuration but then there is nothing to suggest that the port would be somewhere else on an earlier model ? I thought they would all be the same. :thinking:

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonnie1266 

This post from Geoff on AV Forums in regards to HDMI port 4 placements : http://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-kd-x9005-4k-owners-thread.1797854/page-72#post-20830614

Bare in mind I dont know, Ive never seen a 2013 4K TV (either early build or later build).  So...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all

Sony have provided the following information :

"

2012: 84X9005 -> all models needs to be upgraded

2013: 55X9005 & 65X9005 -> models of first production cycle needs to be upgraded.

Customer can check if their model needs to be upgraded on this page by entering there mode name and serial number:

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/4k-Hardware-Upgrade

"

Just following the information on that page :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Thanks for that Quinnicus - was that support page there all along ?

I have submitted the details and my set is ok :smileyhappy:.

At least Sony are in fact offering a free upgrade to the affected sets at the customers home.

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jonnie1266 wrote:

Thanks for that Quinnicus - was that support page there all along ?

If it was - no one knew about it :grin:  However I suspect that its only recently become 'live'.

cheesemonster
Explorer

That page has gone live because the FMP-X5 has just been added to the website. If you click on buy, it takes you to the compatibility page. (although if you try and preorder it says this 'item is not valid', great)

What's grinding my gears is that the website says that my TV requires a service visit to complete the upgrade, which, as mentioned on the X5 footnotes, will require an HDCP 2.2 circuit board swap. But when I ring Sony they tell me that, as the owner of a 55", I only need the software upgrade which went out on the 23rd of June.

As far as I understand it, this is FALSE. HDCP 2.2 cannot be added through a software update, it is a physical piece of hardware which the device must have in order to be compatible. The first run of American X9 sets which had an isolated HDMI 4 port needed this upgrade, and as my July '13 UK build also has the port on its own I'm assuming that it will also need the physical board upgrade. 

The clue is in the name of the support page: the 4K HARDWARE UPGRADE site tells me I need a HARDWARE UPGRADE. So why am I now being told I don't?

It'd be great to get a definitive answer on this from someone in the know, rather than some Egyptian bloke in a call centre reading from a script.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi cheesemonster

Im assuming that you have been also following the AV forums thread too?  If not, I have fed the information that you guys have been getting from Sony Support when contacting them in the hope that the Call Center can also be informed on the process.

Its possible that the call center does not have all the information as of yet. 

Ill post back when more information comes to light.

Cheers.

cheesemonster
Explorer

Yes, for it is I, Geoff D.

I think you're right, the call centre are just parroting the standard guff about HDMI 2.0 and obviously have no idea about the HDCP issue and/or the what the X5 compatibility site says. *Le sigh*

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cheesemonster wrote:

Yes, for it is I, Geoff D.

HAHA - Welcome to these forums :slight_smile:  I regularly see your posts on the AV Forums from time to time - with the occasional quotes as your very knowledgable. 

If I can assist - I will.

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi, glad to hear that there has been some progress on this !

I input my serial no into the link provided by Quinnicus and got the following message :- Your TV model needs to be upgraded to be able to stream 4K video using the new Media Player FMP-X5.

However what I'm concerned about is that when I phone the representative that I speak to has no idea that it needs a hardware upgrade and not a software update. Will wait until I hear back from Quinnicus and Cheesemonster with regards to this.

:slight_smile: