SOLVED
Shorey66
New

Youtube problems on KDL-42W653A

Sony KDL-42W653A
Software version...PKG4.101EUA
Issue started a week ago.
Youtube app version...'Youtube on TV (newer devices 2013/1012)'
Connection...BT braodband unlimited 8mb. Tv wired to router via ethernet.
Problem occurs on all videos accessed via youtube tv app.

I keep my youtube app synced with my youtube acc at all times. I have been enjoying full HD content since buying the TV before christmas with no buffering or connection issues of any kind. One week ago all videos have started playing at lowest quality (assume240p). My internet connection has been tested and is stable and more than fast enough. Netflix and other content on the TV still streams perfectly at 1080p. I can watch youtube content on both my PC and mobile phone over WIFI at full HD resolution. I also tried streaming a youtube video from my Sony mobile to the TV and this played at full HD resolution (via 'throw'). This says to me that there is a problem with the youtube TV app itself. I have restored my TV to factory settings and re-loaded the Youtube app with no change. All smart software and TV firmware is showing as up to date.

I can't think of any other fixes to try and would appreciate any help you can give. Is there an update coming out soon? I love viewing youtube on the TV and if I cant use it, the TV will be going back and I will be sad.

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The reason why it would not play in the store is because the files you have downloaded from YouTube are not in a format the TV recognises.

I have just downloaded that YouTube video, using a web-browser (FireFox) add-on called "YouTube Video and Audio Downloader 0.3.6.2"  I used the MP4 format, and successfully tested it on my 2013 Sony TV.  So a 2014 one should work as well.

Therefore you have 4 options (that I can think of):

1. Convert the video files into a format that the TV will recognise using a program called "Handbrake" - however this requires some technical understanding of things.
  2. Re-download those video files using the browser add-on that I used and then test again
  3. Don't even download the files - just play them from the TV's YouTube application itself
  4. Test those video files on other manufacterers TVs - however you may find that you have the same problem

In regards to difficulty - the easiest solution is option 3.  Then followed by options 2, then 4 and finaly option 1.

Hope this helps

Cheers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
royhicks1
New

im trying to find out if youtube can be played on sony smart tv's, if not i wont be buying one until you can "with ease" but i get th efeeling sony dont even read this forum?

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

I don't know if it's related, but you're not running the latest version of the firmware. Maybe updating it will help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi royhicks1

All Sony Smart TVs from 2011 onwards has YouTube.  For more detailed information, please reply back with a model number of the TV, and I can assist further.

Cheers

royhicks1
New

the television I was looking to buy is the KDL42W829, but the saleman
couldn't explain how youtube could be used on t heTV, all he kept saying
was it depends on what sort of file the youtube video is in, which confused
me. I have a selection of youtube videos on a memory stick & I would like
to be able to plug the memory stick into a TV & play any of the selection
of videos, can this be done?

regards roy hicks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Once you 'download' the videos from YouTube, they are no longer 'YouTube Videos'.  They are infact video files.  Without having a look on what type of files they are, its hard to say.  However, as a guess they would be MP4 files?

The link below explains the supported video files

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14HE394111/EN/codeclist.html#section03

If you are still unsure, why not pop into your nearest Sony Store (with your USB drive) and test it out on their display TVs.

Just to be clear, the actual YouTube Application is on this TV.  I know all this can be confusing, so if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

royhicks1
New

I took my usb drive into curry's but the TV didn't recognise the file type
so it wouldn't play it so I didn't buy the TV. the youtube file below is
the same as all my other music videos & is what we tried to play on the tv,
but please understand, i'm no technical wizard so if it isn't easy to do
there's no point in me buying the TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTsyVNlzc7I
thank you for corresponding with my in this enquiry.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The reason why it would not play in the store is because the files you have downloaded from YouTube are not in a format the TV recognises.

I have just downloaded that YouTube video, using a web-browser (FireFox) add-on called "YouTube Video and Audio Downloader 0.3.6.2"  I used the MP4 format, and successfully tested it on my 2013 Sony TV.  So a 2014 one should work as well.

Therefore you have 4 options (that I can think of):

1. Convert the video files into a format that the TV will recognise using a program called "Handbrake" - however this requires some technical understanding of things.
  2. Re-download those video files using the browser add-on that I used and then test again
  3. Don't even download the files - just play them from the TV's YouTube application itself
  4. Test those video files on other manufacterers TVs - however you may find that you have the same problem

In regards to difficulty - the easiest solution is option 3.  Then followed by options 2, then 4 and finaly option 1.

Hope this helps

Cheers

royhicks1
New

thank you very much for tying to help me, but its a tad complicated so I
will just have to wait until there is a TV that will make viewing yourtube
easy.
many thanks for your time, roy hicks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your Welcome :slight_smile: