Join now - be part of our community!

3 issues with my clean reinstaled Vaio VPCSB

profile.country.cs_CZ.title
armykcz
Visitor

3 issues with my clean reinstaled Vaio VPCSB

Hi,

I have problems with this notebook http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/index.jsp?m=VPCSB2L1E_W&l=en_GB

1) When I got my laptop, I changed the HDD and added ram. Then I installed W7 Ultimate (clean install no backup etc.).

- nothing work... so i download drivers from sony site but i solved only some problems.

- Vaio does not recognize ATI HD radeon 6470m, only Inte HD 3000...

- STAMINA/SPEED switch works, but he does not changing graphic cards...

2) Battery life should be 8 hours, but my 100% = 3 hours

3) Sometimes, when I turn off laptop, than will not turn on. I must take out the battery and start the laptop and then put battery back.

Can anyone help?

Excuse my English...

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like you do not have the correct graphics driver installed.

You need a special single driver to cover both the Intel HD graphics and the ATI Graphics - this will allow switching with Speed/Stamina.

You need AMD Radeon (TM) HD   6470M / 6630M and Mobile Intel (R) HD Graphics, Version 8.811.1.0 for   Microsoft® Windows® 7

Unfortunately, I cannot see a 64-bit version on the download page for your model and have no idea why Sony have not provided it..

You can either: -

1. Phone Vaio Support and ask them where you can find the above driver for your model.

or

2. At your own risk, install the 64-bit version  from another SB-Series Vaio - here is the driver from the VPCSB1A9E: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=VAIO/Original/A2DVID...

I say at your own risk as this driver has probably not been tested with Ultimate.

Installation instructions look complex - so read these carefully and Good Luck!

On the battery, what power profile do you have set when on battery?

No idea on the last point - have you reinstalled ALL the drivers and utilities from the Sony website?  Have you reinstalled Vaio Care and the Quick Web Browser?

:wink:

armykcz
Visitor

I downloaded driver, that you linked, but still ATI dont work :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I see there is also an AMD Registry Patch for the VPCSB1A9E - I guess you need that also?

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=VAIO/Original/A2DVID...

Don't forget to reboot afterwards.

:thinking:

armykcz
Visitor

Oh, it is bad :slight_frown: It didnt work...

My laptop didnt recognize ATI gr. card :slight_frown:

Maybe i should reinstall os and install drivers again

(I read some similar problems and they talk about instaling drivers in right order, is it possible?)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry, I am out of ideas.  Have you reinstalled ALL the drivers and utilities?

Did you make a set of Recovery Discs before you changed the hard drive?

Personally, I think I would reinstall the original Sony Operating system on the new drive from the Recovery Discs and then, if you really need Ultimate, carry out an Upgrade to Ultimate.

:thinking:

armykcz
Visitor

I think, that Home Premium will be fine, but my problem is that I havent recovery disc :slight_frown:

Is possible to get recovery disc from other user with same notebook?

Or SONY can send me that disc?

profile.country.nl_NL.title
peterf600
Visitor

Hi Armykcz,

I had exactly the same problems as you discribed, but not only those problems...

After i bought the sony VPCSB2c5e. I also upgraded the harddisk from the standard 320gb to a solid state disk of m4 crucial 256gb.

I did a clean install of windows 7 x64 Home enterprise. Problems with drivers... fn keys who didnt work, wrong battery warning message, or not installed properly.. anyway the not finding the ati vga wasnt for me the only problem. In first instance i thought the windows 7 wasnt probably installed, so i installed it again... never the less..

To solve the whole problem i created an image with my desktop computer of the standard 320gb with a sata to usb cable and put it on the ssd. I used the software of the m4 crucial that was delivered to create an image.
It took about 30 to 45 minutes to make an image.

After that i reinstalled the ssd into the notebook and all the problems were solved... the windows 7 is specially branded for the sony SB i think?!? Anyway it's completely functional now and fast (7,9 for harddisk in windows 7), for example it takes 15 seconds to start up! Now i'm very pleased with it.

I hope this information helps by installing your VPCSB :slight_smile:   

With kind regards,

Peter

profile.country.en_GB.title
ripat86
Visitor

The recommend battery life provided by Sony is rubbish.

I found I had to do things like turn bluetooth off, lower the brightness, use power saver mode and etc. to get anywhere near 7/7.5 hours they suggest. I wouldn't worry about the battery life.

If you need recovery discs, usually Sony will charge you for them as they expect you to use the recovery partition or you make your own discs.